Centrefire Rifle Calibre Advise Required

I presently have .308 and a .222 as well as my .22 rimfire on ticket. I intend handing in the .222 and .308 and getting one calibre to cover both aspects, .222 for fox sized varmints and the .308 for deer.

Sensible question now, that i'd like genuine sensible answers for please, what calibre would you suggest the best choice to replace the two mentioned above,what reasons, and what is your experience with that calibre, for and against, price of ammo etc.

A make, model etc that you may have found exceptionall or at least worthy of a mention would also be appreceated.

Many Thanks in advance

B

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

6.5x55 swede all day everyday and any other day imo ........had various calibre over the yrs from .243 through to .308 ...... found the 6.5x55 on my set up real comfy to use and the follow through sh

depends on your personal budget ya welsh tramp look up the howa 1500 , they do a kit , rifle , mod , scope , bipod , hard carrying case for £895

It's 243 for me that all I use on fox and deer with 100grn hornadys sp atb walshy

I have exactly the same calibres pluss a .243 I wouldn't change them . the 222 is awsome that's a tika 595 the 308 is a tikka continental 595 and the 243 is a mannlicher ive had for 25 years I load my own gear and wouldn't change a thing ;)

• Like 1

I presently have .308 and a .222 as well as my .22 rimfire on ticket. I intend handing in the .222 and .308 and getting one calibre to cover both aspects, .222 for fox sized varmints and the .308 for deer.

Sensible question now, that i'd like genuine sensible answers for please, what calibre would you suggest the best choice to replace the two mentioned above,what reasons, and what is your experience with that calibre, for and against, price of ammo etc.

A make, model etc that you may have found exceptionall or at least worthy of a mention would also be appreceated.

Many Thanks in advance

B

depends on the deer you intend to shoot. 243 is a very versatile round as is the .270 and as there out of favour are relatively cheap at the minute

thing is rio, i figure if i get one calibre for the both jobs, i would only need one lot of ammo AS WELL etc, and may even look into getting into loading my own then as well.

My .222 has been well used over the years and i was toying with changing it for a new one anyhow, and i dont use the .308 anywhere near as much as i used to, so a compromise would be a brand new, different calibre rifle, with scope and sound mod on it.

Just interested in other peoples opinions and experiences, thanks for your reply.

Regards

B

mostly fallow, odd roe, but you never know if a red happend to be on the patch. A lot of boys use .243, i'm not a massive fan of the 270 tbh, to much bang and effort for average results, neither a here nor there sort of calibre. I have had a 6.5 x 55 suggested as an excellent rifle / calibre, accurate, limited recoil, and not expensive ammo. Just doing my homework i guess before i make my decisions.

B

mostly fallow, odd roe, but you never know if a red happend to be on the patch. A lot of boys use .243, i'm not a massive fan of the 270 tbh, to much bang and effort for average results, neither a here nor there sort of calibre. I have had a 6.5 x 55 suggested as an excellent rifle / calibre, accurate, limited recoil, and not expensive ammo. Just doing my homework i guess before i make my decisions.

B

i have always thought the 270 was very under rated lol

Ballistically, the 6.5 "Swede" is an excellent calibre for slightly more punch in the heavier bullet heads than a .243 with a choice of heavier heads to suit the larger deer. If the twist rate is right, then it'll stabilise the lighter bullets for Fox too, which are equally devastating.

If you're hoping to reload, you always have the option of something perhaps a little more unusual, a .260 or .25-06 for example, which again hold the middle ground between the .243 and the .30 calibres,

6.5x55 swede all day everyday and any other day imo ........had various calibre over the yrs from .243 through to .308 ...... found the 6.5x55 on my set up real comfy to use and the follow through shot excellent ........... i use the browning x-bolt with a T12 mod and a nikon pro-staff scope ..........cannot find one single fault with this calibre or set up ..........loves ppu ammo @£12.50 a box and shoots sub 1/2" @ 125 mtrs ........just my opinion for whats its worth , doubt you will find a better ergonomic round either imo

• Like 2

you couldnt hit a pig in a passageway ya cnut :D , but i thank you for your constructive input. ( Debs must have typed it for you, no spelling mistakes :boogy: ).

Just been looking at them on youtube, and a vid on reloading them. food for thought.