When Do Lines Become Your Own

when you out cross its no longer anyones line but your own but i would say you would have to keep that line you have made and breed for 4 to 5 gens and could take 20 years plus to test them right just what i think

if you mate your joe bloggs line with a fred smith out cross does it not become a bloggs /smith and your the breeder ... :hmm:

Edited by the_stig
  • Like 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The interesting thing is the definition of 'line', yeh you could breed 3 generations of dogs, starting with your two, breed a bitch & 3 years later breed from her & so on...... But if your no

Well worded and clever insight Bosun11. We are only "polishing" what we inherited from the man before us........ that goes for the "big" names too. If working bred pups were not for sale I wonder woul

I think a few men have maybe sacrificed working ability to get uniformed and even looking dogs over the years just so could get a "line" of their own ! Myself I don't care if they're a bit of a scatt

Well yeh that goes back to my original point, in my own experiance we never took things far enough not to stop referring to them as bloggs/smith lines, it would of took several years of breeding to line & back out to be able to claim our own.....I think....

So whats the difference between a line and strain :hmm: I think some of the confusion lies in the fact that your dogs have to be unique/typey whatever....they don't ....close/in breeding over a few generations will give you the beginning of a line,if the litters grow out between 9 inch and 19 inch every colour under the sun,it don't matter ,it would still be the start of YOUR line....getting even litters would be the next challenge...then you would have "fixed a type".Lot of bitching in the KC world over this get a prefix/affix and suddenly its" my line"without even breeding a litter :yes:

I think a few men have maybe sacrificed working ability to get uniformed and even looking dogs over the years just so could get a "line" of their own ! Myself I don't care if they're a bit of a scatter bred screwy mongrel as long as they do what I want them to do .

• Like 3

when you out cross its no longer anyones line but your own but i would say you would have to keep that line you have made and breed for 4 to 5 gens and could take 20 years plus to test them right just what i think

if you mate your joe bloggs line with a fred smith out cross does it not become a bloggs /smith and your the breeder ... :hmm:

yes it does but joe bloggs or fred smith would not put there name to it some would even say its not out of my stuff your best just breeding from someones hard work and still 5 to 6 gens saying your just the breeder :)

So whats the difference between a line and strain :hmm: I think some of the confusion lies in the fact that your dogs have to be unique/typey whatever....they don't ....close/in breeding over a few generations will give you the beginning of a line,if the litters grow out between 9 inch and 19 inch every colour under the sun,it don't matter ,it would still be the start of YOUR line....getting even litters would be the next challenge...then you would have "fixed a type".Lot of bitching in the KC world over this get a prefix/affix and suddenly its" my line"without even breeding a litter :yes:

why would you want "even" litters

Never said I did...most people wanting to create a strain/line would want it to be "true"breeding,similair size more than colour....less "wastage" in the litters :thumbs:

if your breeding for work then you still try to breed even litters. by trying to produce pups of the right size. with good bone weatherproof jackets similar qualities in there workstyle and so on. even if your not trying to breed even litters. you are still doing so. as to do the job of work they have they need these qualities.

i think you will be able to say you have your own strain when you breed what you need consistantly. and others breed and value what your breeding and come back to you for advice on breeding the stock they got off you. if they are any good is a different kettle of fish.

as for the KC. a prefix goes before your dogs name and this is if you bred the litter. this will pass on to the future owners. ie. bummers blockhead. if you buy one in you can put your name on it with an afix. like bummers blockhead at. fcukwits. (bred by bummers. owned by fcukwits) thats my take on it. as far as i am led to believe

• Like 2

if your breeding for work then you still try to breed even litters. by trying to produce pups of the right size. with good bone weatherproof jackets similar qualities in there workstyle and so on. even if your not trying to breed even litters. you are still doing so. as to do the job of work they have they need these qualities.

i think you will be able to say you have your own strain when you breed what you need consistantly. and others breed and value what your breeding and come back to you for advice on breeding the stock they got off you. if they are any good is a different kettle of fish.

as for the KC. a prefix goes before your dogs name and this is if you bred the litter. this will pass on to the future owners. ie. bummers blockhead. if you buy one in you can put your name on it with an afix. like bummers blockhead at. fcukwits. (bred by bummers. owned by fcukwits) thats my take on it. as far as i am led to believe

That's about the size of it ,the affix being the biggest bone of contention, fuckwits breeding from bummers and calling it their "line" :laugh::icon_eek::thumbs:

• Like 1

so your saying they need to be from an even litter to be able to work well ?