Whippet X Deerhound

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe this is a popular cross with heroin users.

i've seen all sorts make decent workers, some had short necks others cow hocks, some had turned out elbows others had all of the above and more but i always asked the question......how much better wou

got one and its the best we worker ive got never stops working got a head to big for its body somebody said it was a horrible we thing couldnt give a f--k how they look as long as they do what their

whip / grey on here mated his non ped to a deerhound a couple of years ago, not strictly 1st cross as paddy has a good dollop of greyhound in him but he may have pics, suppose theres a good bit of logic there though if you were to get the best of both worlds

i never seen one, but an old retired keeper i once knew said that he had one in the 70s which was the best dog he ever owned, said it was like a rough coated greyhound but tougher and more wind. he took one litter off it to a mixed breed lurcher and said there was everything in the litter from 19" to 29"!

A lot of lads say they can't see the point in this, 2 opposites.

However I think the deerhound temperament brings a lot to a lurcher. And a 28" + dog isn't for everyone.

To have a 22"-23" lurcher with better feet and coat than a whippet and with the deerhound temperament could be very useful.

Hubbs has got a deer/grey x whippet bitch. 23" and very handy :yes:

• Like 1

A mate of mine has one,, only young ,, but a genuine first cross,,,not seen it yet mind,,, he bought it from Ludlow way

he bought that of a mate of mine would love to see it ans know how its doing it was me that persuaded him to do the cross .

This is a cross i hope to own one day, hopefully while iam still young enough to do it justice, iam supprised its not been used more as an alernative to beddy cross's by some of the rabbiting / mooching boys, some of the bigger pups should make good alrounders too if in the right hands, atb, buster.

It'd be interesting to hear a first hand account from someone who's owned one and not stories of other peoples dogs. You lose the point of a deerhound lurcher when you bring the size down. I'm sure those who ran dogs before the ban and before the bull x generation will understand. If you want a small rabbiting dog with a rough coat then there's loads of breeds to choose from but a deerhound isn't one of them. What does whippet blood bring to this cross, other than a severe reduction in height?

It'd be interesting to hear a first hand account from someone who's owned one and not stories of other peoples dogs. You lose the point of a deerhound lurcher when you bring the size down. I'm sure those who ran dogs before the ban and before the bull x generation will understand. If you want a small rabbiting dog with a rough coat then there's loads of breeds to choose from but a deerhound isn't one of them. What does whippet blood bring to this cross, other than a severe reduction in height?

Isn't the reduction in height enough?

Someone who wants the deerhound temperament, feet and coat but smaller?

• Like 1

Surely you can get that from other crosses beddy,collie?
  • Like 1

It'd be interesting to hear a first hand account from someone who's owned one and not stories of other peoples dogs. You lose the point of a deerhound lurcher when you bring the size down. I'm sure those who ran dogs before the ban and before the bull x generation will understand. If you want a small rabbiting dog with a rough coat then there's loads of breeds to choose from but a deerhound isn't one of them. What does whippet blood bring to this cross, other than a severe reduction in heiIMO

IMO both the DH and the whippet are the most chilled out of any of the sight hounds i,v worked with, i ran DH blooded dogs pre ban for many years, though tbh usualy 3/4 gh 1/4 dh and liked the way they would lay about when not working but would switch on when out, the whippet has a simular outlook on life, if i could get a dog with the feet, coat and wind of a dh [a good dh] that stood about 22/23" and turned like a whippet i,d be a happy fella, you try getting permission these days around me with anything thats taller, always better to turn up with a dog that looks like it cant catch owt bigger than a rabbit ;), i,v got a 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy these days for that very reason, good topic this, atb, buster.

Surely you can get that from other crosses beddy,collie?

I don't think you can get the deerhound temperament in beddy or collie mate.

• Like 1