What To Feed A Pup And When

Ive just got an 11 wk old deerhound x bull grey and wanted to know if im ok feeding him the same grub as my older lurchers which is red mills and should i be feeding him twice a day as apposed to once on a night like i do my other dogs

Cheers

Ive just got an 11 wk old deerhound x bull grey and wanted to know if im ok feeding him the same grub as my older lurchers which is red mills and should i be feeding him twice a day as apposed to once on a night like i do my other dogs

Cheers

Needs fed more than twice a day at 11 weeks...... :yes:

I always feed pups 4 x small meals daily until they are 6 months and 3 x daily til they're a year old...and twice a day after that.....

Personally I would be feeding more than Red Mills....get some good quality flesh and fish, veg and pasta.....

• Like 2

A hav two 8 week old pups the now a feed them red mills racer mixed with minced beef or lamb. A just mix it in a big dish and leave it ther for them to self feed as am working all day and wouldn't be ther to feed them anymore than 3 times a day. [BANNED TEXT] they get a bit older al start feeding them [BANNED TEXT] and after work then again at night

Only had pup few hours, shes been eating wainrights in warm water, how much is a "small meal", dont wanna over feed. Are you guys cooking some of those meats before feeding?

Let your pup guide you on how much is a meal, if the pup is looking for more then you haven't given enough

if its leaving food then your making to much, its very rare a pup will over feed.

Mine was fed 4 meals a day when i got him and over the months till 6 months it was cut down, when he turned 6 months he was put on to two meals a day,

often you will notice pups will start to cut the middle meals out themselves as they get older.

• Like 1

This thread has just reminded me of a pup I let go to someone who came highly recommended by a mutual friend: :censored: I went to see the bloke and the pup when it was about 4 months old. It was a wreck. Only the size of a pup of 3 months old, and skinny as hell. He told me he'd only been feeding it small amounts as he thought that lurchers had small stomachs :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: His other dogs were Labs. I put some food on the floor and the pup practically suffocated in its haste to inhale the lot at one go. I doubt he'd been giving it enough for a terrier pup, let alone a lurcher which would make 25" plus. The dog did come right, but he got rid of it at around a year saying he didn't really want a lurcher. Hard lesson learned: by me. Never trust anyone else's opinion!

• Like 2

I lose count how many times my pup gets fed...4 Times minimum but will often just drop her a chicken wing or two, or a rib bone.

She has a slice of Brown bread when I do my toast on a weekend morning,cowhide chews are begged for and the cupboard door nudged every time the wife walks in the kitchen.

I lose count how many times my pup gets fed...4 Times minimum but will often just drop her a chicken wing or two, or a rib bone.

She has a slice of Brown bread when I do my toast on a weekend morning,cowhide chews are begged for and the cupboard door nudged every time the wife walks in the kitchen.

Mine is exactly the same pal. 3 solid meals a day and probably 3 in between. The odd chicken wing or handful of complete etc.