Tracking Collars

Ideation

Hello All,

I've asked this a few times on here, but never really got a response.

I'm looking to buy a G.P.S collar and tracking unit, and have been looking at the Garmin Astro / Alpha.

Has anyone used one over here, and has anyone used these models?

Does anyone know a good place to pick one up this side of the pond or do they need to be brought in from the states?

Can you d/l u.k maps for the american systems?

Any help would be much appreciated, as currently I seem to be doing more and more hunting, where a G.P.S would be very handy and would save a little bit of stress at times :laugh:

Cheers,

Jai.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You want the Garmin Astro 320 and buy the Topo map for your part of the country.Buy from Ebay from US you can get the Topo maps on Ebay from the UK.You won't regret buying one it is a huge piece of mi

just ordered the alpha with 6 collars at www.thebuzzzardsroost.com   also taked the long range antenna for on the car and the handheld, birdseye, and some extra antennas for when one is broken  

Can you keep us updated Foxdigger.

Hello All,

I've asked this a few times on here, but never really got a response.

I'm looking to buy a G.P.S collar and tracking unit, and have been looking at the Garmin Astro / Alpha.

Has anyone used one over here, and has anyone used these models?

Does anyone know a good place to pick one up this side of the pond or do they need to be brought in from the states?

Can you d/l u.k maps for the american systems?

Any help would be much appreciated, as currently I seem to be doing more and more hunting, where a G.P.S would be very handy and would save a little bit of stress at times :laugh:

Cheers,

Jai.

You seen them work the night you had out with us a few year back ????????????????..........any questions send me a PM il be happy to help

Edited by DEERMAN

2 you should PM dogs-n-natives as well. Although he doesn't get much Internet access these days. I've seen two Garmin systems used in Hungary. An early model just gave a distance and direction, could track up to 4 dogs at once. The new Garmin Astro 420 showed what appeared to be OS mapping of the area, as well as distance and direction. A good unit IMO. I'm hoping Santa will bring me one....

You want the Garmin Astro 320 and buy the Topo map for your part of the country.Buy from Ebay from US you can get the Topo maps on Ebay from the UK.You won't regret buying one it is a huge piece of mind to know where your dogs are at all times.

• Like 2

i asked the same question here on the forum but also never really get a response.

so is this system bought from us working in europe? heard it is working on a FM frequency or so, dont know if whe have the same frequency here??

is it possible to download topo maps of holland, Germany, france?

how is your range DEERMAN? till how far can you track your dogs. and wich type of the garmin do you have, the alpha or the astro

Yet I've looked at the astro...... But I've heard te alpha is the daddy ....

I think the alpha has the shockers on it too so you might have a problem in Wales with them.

They could definitely be an asset if you had a hound that was prone to rioting If you only hunted on the other side of the border .

only got the garmin last week and its brilliant had a beagle Russell who was putting foxes to ground regular but would come away after a while and drop in terroer then.but I kept loosing her for hour here and there and missing loads of foxes. no more will be missed. brst money I evet spent. works off gps.imo a must for hounds. hope this helps a lil

RAW - What I liked about the Alpha. . . is that you can set 'fences' to stop or at least, try to stop the dogs entering certain areas, crossing roads etc. Also you can get like a google earth style view on it. . . . . but it's more expensive. So will probably get the Astro. . . also it's got to be imported from the states so you have to pay import tax on top.

Turkish - what one did you get and where from?