First Shotgun

Looking to buy my first shotgun in the next few weeks. Going to buy a new and prepared to spend up to £2k if required but would prefer to limit it to £1.5k.

Most of what I will be doing will be pigeon shooting with the odd day accross a moor for duck etc and probably use it for clays from time to time. My thinking is therefore an O/U 12g and on the light side.

Two shotguns that appear to suit my needs are the Berretta Silver Pigeon 1 and the Browning B525 Game 1. I have handled both and really can't find much between them but my heart is veering towards the Berretta.

Also not sure of the length and why. 28" seems better only because its marginally lighter, but I don't want to buy a 28" only to find out later I should have bought a 30".

Can anybody help me decide on a gun and the length.

Thanks for your help.

just me mate, but of for pigeons i would be heading the semi route, a good day on the pigeons may give you a sore shoulder, dont get me wrong silver pigeons are great but they would be used a few times a year on game days for me, not sat in a hide... thats just me and im sure more will come along with alot more help than i have been... good luck in whatever you choose mate

You need to shoot both as they're as different as chalk and cheese when it comes to balance.

I'd advise going to a clay shoot and seeing if you can shoot both or going to a gun dealer who stocks both where youc an try before you buy.

I've got the beretta mate, and can't fault it 1 bit! I use it for everything from sitting in the pigeon hide to full driven pheasant to sitting up to my goolies in cold water waiting for ducks. I got it with "28" barrels because they felt better to me than the 30s. I've also shot my mates browning and there both good guns of good quality so the choice is yours my friend ;)

Ahem (beretta ) lol

I have tried a silver pigeon 3 at a clay shoot and eventually managed to hit the clays. It seemed to be OK. They haven't got access to a browning so I will never be able to try one out. I was out on Saturday with a mates old Franchi hunter semi auto. It seems ok as well and light to carry about.

My mates are advising me to go with a 28" as its easier to swing quickly and a tad lighter as well. All my mates have berrettas so it seems everything is pointing towards a berretta.