Change In Course

So as you all know i was set on buying the xs78 a little fun for myself but on my recent google mission i found the bsa metior mk7 for 140 quid now i have the mark 2 and love the thing to bits. My only issue is if i buy the meteor i still wont of shot a gas gun.... this has left me in a dilemer see i love springers and the hw97k gets heavy so does the webley stingray ll and with not sshooting in round a year and a half i could probably do with the lighter gun. So guys just general thoughts nd oppinions please no arguments please !! We all love eachother remember hah thanks atb stewie

I'd be dubious with a CO2 gun, for anything more than plinking. Temperature will effect the power on it, for starters. Lighter? For sure, but if your heart is set on a PCP why not save a little longer?

Sounds like you've already got two of the best springers available?

Gas guns, 2 sorts , air powered and co2 powered. Air powered not as affected by temperature changes as co2. With co2 shooting in under 6 degrees c becomes hit and miss, but you can buy battery powered warming systems for the 88g co2 Air Source type!

With the 88g co2 type you an also convert them to air powered for under £100! So then you have a sort of cheap pcp, but a secondhand single shot pcp can cost less, indeed someone with some secondhand knowledge can probably pick up the Hatsan AT44 for about the same sort of money secondhand and that is a 10 shot magazined pcp with anti double load, 2 stage trigger and gauge as well as an LW barrel and walnut stock (actually an AT 44 is not all that much more new)...

Then for pcp you need charging equipment, cylinder or pump or you will perpetually forking out a couple of quid to the gunshop for a fill and on an Ultra that will be expensive (about 30-40shots per fill).

The 12g power source co2 have a cheaper power source than the 88g, and you have the advantage of being able to put in one used bulb and one new bulb for short plinking sessions (saves on gas man). The XS/QB 78 and the XS 79 are easily home tuned, but you must have a chrono to do this as with the 22 it is easy to put it over 12 ft lb!

PCP pros - better at extreme temperatures, power readily available from pump or compressed air cylinder.

PCP Cons - cost (can be very expensive when kitting up for first time including cylinder/pump).

co2 pros - cost cheaper, easily tunable.

co2 cons - constant cost of co2, prone to more leaks than a St David's festival, problems operating in extreme temperatures (ie below 6 degrees c).

In short a co2 is a fine project gun for use on days where there is a good ambient temperature. Indeed little gems can be made from the sometimes much derided 78 and 79. PCP is better but costs more!

Now now Lewis, I have not googled about anything, the CO2 conumdrum was explained to me when I looked at PCP rifles for the first time, so I went PCP, I since acquired a QB78, as I wanted to tune a gun up to say I had done it, and if it went wrong it was not a fortune down the drain.

Trouble is since tuning it we bought a new stock for it, a silencer adaptor, mounts, so it does add up still, but when it fires I still smile and think, I made that better!