Air Arms S410 Problem

hi lads

i was out last night for a bit lamping, and when i was loading the rifle, the mag was popping out the side as i pulled the bolt back. it happened several times and caused me to have to spend a minute or two looking on the ground for it, pushing back in and pushing the bolt forwards to engage the pellet...then by that time the rabbits hopped off.

did it time after time and cost me every rabbit we saw bar one who went to ground and by past mistakes id already loaded the rifle before we saw it.

any ideas..? is it human error, or is it a common problem with these rifles? or is this a 'get to the gunsmith' sort of issue.

It could be either the small retaining clip on the top or the small piece of spring steel that's on the indexing post. Cock the rifle slowly while looking at these and you should be able to see what's causing the mag to pop out. Both are made from flimsy steel and may have got bent without you noticing.

It could be either the small retaining clip on the top or the small piece of spring steel that's on the indexing post. Cock the rifle slowly while looking at these and you should be able to see what's causing the mag to pop out. Both are made from flimsy steel and may have got bent without you noticing.

i know what you mean, ill have a look at that mate, thanks a lot for your help.

Ok mate. I have an S410 but have done very little with it since gettin the dog...they are simple rifles to work on though.

Was it working fine til a point with the old mag?

I had a problem with a new mag. I had a problem with the mag indexing and when I had a look at it the mag was very stiff. All I did was compress the small spring inside the mag and problem solved.

yeah it was, from new with the mag supplied. not had it out since the range a few weeks ago. went out in a hurry and didnt check zero until on the lamp on a fence post when i got to the permission. thats when it first popped out, thought it was me pulling the bolt back too hard (giggidy) but then went out and it continued.

will it fix with a bit of manipulating do you think? or replace the clip?

Try rotating the mag. If it's stiff it could get pushed out by the indexing post. You can open it and compress the spring between thumb and forefinger. Just a tiny bit at a time til its rotating better. Just be aware when you take the cover off the mag that the spring and ball doesn't pop out as they're very small. I'd try that 1st before doing anything with the indexing post and retaining clip if the rifle is new.

I'm not sure if the clip is different on the newer models but you can move the small retaining clip slightly with the older model. The small silver sleeve on the mag should sit in the groove on the retaining clip to hold it in position.

Edited by AirgunGuy

I'd try compressing the spring in the mag 1st mate. Tiny bit at a time til it rotates easier. If the mag becomes to slack once wearing in then you can open the spring up again.

cool mate thanks again for that you've been a big help. will give it a go and if im still stumped ill take it to the shop. its only about 8 month old so should still have a warranty.