Firearms Licence Change

Hi lads

Just wondering if anyone can help me out, I have already got a .22 RF and a .17HMR and looking to get a .243 I have good ground to shoot the .243 on and a mentor so what are the next steps, what forms do I need to add the .243 and also do I need to get 2 references again my firearms licence was only renewed 2 months ago.

Cheers

Froudy

Simply submit a firearms variation form, outlineing your requirements,and your reasons for the variation as in deer stalking, with a letter proving you have authority from the farmer to control Deer,and your variation fee and licsence,and leave it to them,they will do the rest,you get the form from your firearms licencencing department,make sure you have enough ammo for your other calibres, while its in for variation,

Spot on advice there mate,I would also include a signed and dated letter with your variation form, stating you have the good reason for the calibre, land to shoot it on and outline your experience with firearms, your own and any knowledge you have gained from shooting/stalking with friends ect, it all helps and SHOULD help you avoid the dreaded mentor condition, good luck.

Whatever you do do NOT suggest the mentor. If they force it on you, then if it's not too much hassle you can accept. How long have you held your FAC for the rimmies? If you've done a 5 year cycle (as it sounds like) then they might be more inclined to offer it without the mentoring condition, especially if you have fired a fair amount of ammo.

• Like 1

I don't understand the need for a mentor? Or is that a force thing?

Iv just put a variation in for a .270 and nothing had been mentioned about a mentor. Iv held my FAC for little of 12 months

the mentor condition is a guideline not a lawful requirement as such each force will use it or not dependant on circumstances

Iv just put a variation in for a .270 and nothing had been mentioned about a mentor. Iv held my FAC for little of 12 months

I have seen a few asking for either a mentor OR the DSC1 course. Have you done that by any chance ?

Or do you have somepast experience etc ? If not you may just be very lucky. :-)

the mentor condition is a guideline not a lawful requirement as such each force will use it or not dependant on circumstances

Mentoring is not either a home office or ACPO guideline.....

I have seen a few asking for either a mentor OR the DSC1 course. Have you done that by any chance ?

Or do you have somepast experience etc ? If not you may just be very lucky. :-)

I'm a serving infantry soldier, but I don't know if that comes into consideration. Or just my attitude towards firearms and the police.

Who knows. Iv not done DSC my .270 is purely for hog hunting