Anyone Help Identify This

I've just found this stuffed between two joists in the cellar of an old farm house we're just in the process of moving into. Obviously the FEO will be called as soon as to let her know I've got it but in the meantime does anybody have an idea what it is or from what era (assuming earlier on in the 19th century) There is no obvious serial number on it and some light engravings that may show up in the pictures. The only other feature is a fairly wanky engraving on the butt pad of a red stag. From the size of it it looks like a 16 to me

Any ideas?

cheers for looking

IMG-20131004-00372_zpsd4a6f0ef.jpg

IMG-20131004-00370_zpsc07144fb.jpg

i have had a look through a few books and it is possibly an American Gun Company sbs.

thanks mate, I'm going to give it a light going over with some very fine sandpaper to try and clear some of the rust as I can just make out the word 'TARGET' in the bit under where the barrels would sit. I will try to get a pic of it up in a bit.

It looks very similar to an old 20bore my Grandad has which I know is at least 100 years old now as it was his Dads before WW2 but I have no way of getting him a photo to check.

don't mean for the price, i mean for the look and maybe the age of it, it just looks good and old

I quite like it tbh,

Think I am going to try and tart it up and get it working properly providing the FEO lets me keep it (no reason why not)

It has obviously been fallen on and epoxied you can see on the 2nd photo down