Getting Dog To Hunt Cover

not claiming to be an expert but the stop whistle would be handy cause to send her back when she got over u must first stop her and get her attention,also if she is sitting and staying which she is it wouldnt take much to steady her to the thrown retrieve,dont leave her run in from now on,nice dog though

not claiming to be an expert but the stop whistle would be handy cause to send her back when she got over u must first stop her and get her attention,also if she is sitting and staying which she is it wouldnt take much to steady her to the thrown retrieve,dont leave her run in from now on,nice dog though

Cheers lad,totally agree with you.Need to steady her up a bit.She flies out too when I fire a shot.I've started putting her lead on her and standing on it to stop her taking off.

Cheers lad,totally agree with you.Need to steady her up a bit.She flies out too when I fire a shot.I've started putting her lead on her and standing on it to stop her taking off.

just start throwing dummies while she is sitting and go out and pick them yourself. then when she is steady sit her facing you throw dummies over her head ,she will watch it then when she looks back at u give her the "back" command with ur hand up in the air palm facing her .then move on to throwing a dummies with her sitting beside u ,send her out for it ,stop her and when she sits and looks back give her the "back" command . then u have the basics well down. but remember every command is built on the sit/stop command. just my 2 cents not gospel

• 3 weeks later...

These are pics I took last week.1 is of my son after shooting his first duck which the pup marked and retrieved,her first duck too lol. The second is the pheasant the pup trailed flushed and retrieved on the 1st of November.Shes comming on great.Thanks for all the advice and help along the way.Still more to do but getting there.

post-78766-0-21285700-1383991074_thumb.jpg

post-78766-0-77339400-1383991097_thumb.jpg

Hi mate, i have been having the same thing with my cocker pup, just in a few yards then straight back out. The only time she will commit to any type of cover is if i have threw a dummy in for her. Yesterday however it all just fell into place, she was doing her usual head in then back out, only this time on the way out a black bird exploded next to her. She just stopped looked at me then at the bird, then me again awaiting a command. Get on find it, and she was gone, i can honestly say she hunted perfectly, she coverd the ground beutifully, i did not see her utill recal all away around our walk. To say i was slightly relived was an understatmet lol, cheers all hh

hi I got 4 working cockers and all bush but will say this 2 of them want go in and over the passed 2 years found out why they no there is nothing in there if you watch your dog work you will see as he or she is hunting away down the field she or he will stop and think that's when you say get in or show her takes time but you het there

I have trained 4 with no help from no one all hard work and yes you mess up don't we all

Andy, she's 9 months old not 7 but she is big.

J Davies she's doing the same now. If there's no fresh sent, she won't go in. She flushed and retrieved another cock this morning when I had her out for a run.

see if there is something there she will find it all mine do that I think its brains but lots think its not. to me it saves times when you get to no your dog you can lift your gun and no there is something coming out . not just think there is. that's why its called team work you will get there we all start some were and for you it can only get better

Andy, she's 9 months old not 7 but she is big.

J Davies she's doing the same now. If there's no fresh sent, she won't go in. She flushed and retrieved another cock this morning when I had her out for a run.

see if there is something there she will find it all mine do that I think its brains but lots think its not. to me it saves times when you get to no your dog you can lift your gun and no there is something coming out . not just think there is. that's why its called team work you will get there we all start some were and for you it can only get better

and at 9 months I would not evan worry about her to young to start the only thing I would do and do it all the time is when she gets something up give her joy show her were it got up and she will no that but do it all the time mate