Altcar Is Under Threat.. Please Help..!

How many of you have stood on the public bank, amongst friends and fellow hunters at the Waterloo Cup?

How many bought a 'nominators pass' and stood amongst the dogs, owners and trainers?

How many walked and waived white flags, driving strong brown hares on to field and past the shy, where the finest of their type stood quivering in slips?

How many of you miss those crazy days of late February, when 'Cup fever' took hold and you came with the masses to that hallowed turf of The Withens and Lydiate fields of Altcar estate, three days of glorious coursing!

It's still there, Altcar Estate, so is the Withens fields and Lydiate fields. Not as many hares there as yesteryear but they are there too...

Now to me its historic, not just the remnants of an age pre-ban, where the last great sporting dog spectacle on these shores was held BUT personally too... I stood on that bank, from the mid 80's to the last great run. I stood in the nominators section, had a coffee with Clarissa and Johnny, amongst others. I waived the white flag, early on but my love for the course and my 'run-in's with Mr Wilcock, Mr Bell and Ormskirk Magistrates prevented me from doing anymore!

Many other great memory's of those times too. Just as YOU may have had, if you stood on that ground?

BUT now there is a proposal to change all that and build a bloody wind farm on all those fields! Right across this special place of hunting history....

It's funny, because as I write this I don't quite know what to say.... It's a double edged sword for me because I moved here as soon as I could afford to, 4 years ago and my front window looks out, across the river Alt, though near a mile away, over this estate, so the wind farm does affect my view BUT I moved here because I love this land, I love its history, for both the Waterloo Cup and directly, my own hunting youth and it sickens me that somewhere so special as a part of British hunting heritage could be lost forever.....

There is a meeting tomorrow, in the church of St Helen in Sefton, for those who oppose the plan, I'm attending and I'll campaign too, whatever it takes....

There is a website if its of any interest to anyone... http://www.h-alt.info

Its mainly folk who live in the surrounding area and disagree with the proposal, though I don't think many will see it as a loss to hunting with dogs as I do....

edited to add, I put this up in the 'General' section, as hunters from across the spectrum came to the Cup and its everyone's loss...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol, Bosun you make it sound like the Nuremberg rally lol Serious though can you imagine. Sir Mark Prescott , Lord Derby , Lord Leverhulm , Duke of Westminster, Johnny Scott , Clarissa Dickson Wright,

I attended the meeting last night and found my self in some company that lets say would not be my cup of tea, foremost on there minds was the disruption, secondly the blight on the landscape but secre

Just got off the phone to country side alliance they are looking at it !!!!!!

Good read mate...

Can imagine plenty folk will oppose the wind farm...

They always do however plenty get pushed through..

Wish you and your associates the best of luck with your campagin :thumbs:

Edited by Giro
  • Like 2

Sad news that for you mate,, I only went a handful of times,, but still have the cards..

As for the wind farm,,,, I would be like you,, not on my doorstep,,,, but of course in the big sceam of things,,, it's got to be better than an actual power station,,, cos those turbines take up very little room,,,

• Like 1

http://www.whiteleewindfarm.co.uk/

this windfarm was a big grouse moor. and open ground. with forestry. this area had an abundance of varied wildlife. most of it was put to tree's thiis wiped out the white hares and a lot of the ground nesting birds. it was then made into this monsterous wind farm.. have a look through the stats to see the scale of it. this was a big part of our hunting ground as youngsters and it brings a lump to my throat every time i think about it. , there are very few area.s up here now that you cannot see a windmill in every direction you look..

i also have memories of standing on the bank with a bitter wind in my face and a cup of hot tea to warm my hands. :thumbs:

• Like 3

Fight it not only on Personal Grounds but historical

Its a place which was part of British History and Culture

Thousands upon Thousands of Friendships were formed on those Banks and Fields.

Once Built upon the Waterloo will never return.

Maybe thats part of their Plan ?

Keep Fighting Bosun.

Spot on Max... Fight I will.... :thumbs:

Fight it not only on Personal Grounds but historical

Its a place which was part of British History and Culture

Thousands upon Thousands of Friendships were formed on those Banks and Fields.

Once Built upon the Waterloo will never return.

Maybe thats part of their Plan ?

Keep Fighting Bosun.

Spot on Max... Fight I will.... :thumbs:

true max, good post paul, went 1/2 dozen times,and went on the last day there very sad mate. When the Antis turned up on that day, alot of feelings were running very high that day, i nearly got pulled with the cops, and thrown out ,but few cops understood the feelings that day and tried to keep it calm . Like all hunting with dogs will never come back the Ban here (forever) ,dont matter who runs the country .!! Regards the Wind turbines, bloody shame just keep fighting it. :yes:

• Like 2

It's a shame from the point of view of those of us that have a thing for running dogs. But I don't think the argument of protecting our hunting heritage will hold water for more than the length of the sentence...

I think something of more substance than that will be required personally.

Good luck. :thumbs:

It's a shame from the point of view of those of us that have a thing for running dogs. But I don't think the argument of protecting our hunting heritage will hold water for more than the length of the sentence...

I'd totally agree with that BH, but its only one piece of the puzzle. I was notified as a resident of the area. the Halt campaign is trying to drum up support. They are simply residents too who want to stop the turbines from both being a blot on the surrounding countryside and the chipping away at greenbelt. It's me that see's things a bit more historically, from a hunting point of view.

Even if I still lived in my old home in Anfield I would be just as opposed to this. As, I'd like to think, other hunters should be.

"That's sad" is a term that should be used 'after' the event not before it... "That's sad", is the attitude that got us the hunting ban in the first place...!

Now, has anyone got any inroads to the Countrymans and could get them to take notice??

Ive known about the wind farm for about 12 months the problem is we will not win any challange due to wind farms are the goverments little green baby giving them internatinal standing , the altcar estate is in trust the trusties are not in the slightest interested in the past just the money this venture will bring in the shoot has been let i wont even go there !!!!

We let a mismatch of hippys and wierdows take are culture while people we trusted and gave money

Stood back and let new labour force the hunting act through parliment using a law put in place for far more important

Times the parliment act was not put on the statute book for Backbenches with personal depts to anti orgs who they accepted money off or For prescot to. Stand and preach revenge for the miners strike and pit closers

We have let them take are culture while they swoon over every other ethnic minoritys and tribes world wide

And shout about the rain forests and natural enviorments in every other shit hole in the world they stand

Back while. Are own heritige is systematical destroyed roads housing winds farms etc etc. two faced lying twats

• Like 3

Ive known about the wind farm for about 12 months the problem is we will not win any challange due to wind farms are the goverments little green baby giving them internatinal standing , the altcar estate is in trust the trusties are not in the slightest interested in the past just the money this venture will bring in the shoot has been let i wont even go there !!!!

You say that GTE. Our shoot had planning for offshore size turbines (f***ing massive!) and that was quashed! Dunno, what size these are supposed to be and if that makes a difference?

• Like 2

I'd totally agree with that BH, but its only one piece of the puzzle. I was notified as a resident of the area. the Halt campaign is trying to drum up support. They are simply residents too who want to stop the turbines from both being a blot on the surrounding countryside and the chipping away at greenbelt. It's me that see's things a bit more historically, from a hunting point of view.

Even if I still lived in my old home in Anfield I would be just as opposed to this. As, I'd like to think, other hunters should be.

"That's sad" is a term that should be used 'after' the event not before it... "That's sad", is the attitude that got us the hunting ban in the first place...!

Now, has anyone got any inroads to the Countrymans and could get them to take notice??

pm

GTE, maybe it is a fight we cannot win but then if we don't try we never know.... Not all proposals are passed, many wind farms are halted for various reasons, from the stats i've read, thats about half....

Anyway, for me its a no-brainer, no different to my marching in Cumbria, Scotland, London and Brighton. If 'I' don't try, if 'I' don't have a go, then its a personal failure too...!

My attitude is written down there, at the bottom of this post, part of my signature, written because its sommat I believe in.....