Vènerie, French Hunting With Hounds

Blaise

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The middle of september is the beginning of venerie. The Hounds are ready to hunt deers, boars, foxes, hares or rabbits.   A pregnant bitch tried to go with the pack. The huntsman brings the dog bac

An old pic from Fabrice Toutée   Rallye des Falaises hunting rabbit with bassets near Saint Brieuc  

Vautrait de banassat (boar)  

Posted Images

Just out of interest what is the general perception of English hounds from the majority over the channel ?

I know that the Devon & Somerset staghounds have drafted hounds to France and that the Quorn have drafted hounds from France.

It's interesting to know :thumbs: because all hounds a long time ago came from over the channel . As Blaise mentioned they have a wider variety over the channel but it's good to hear they feel our hounds have something to offer...................... It seems a whole different ball game over there with breeds a lot more specialized ..................Hopefully I'll make the trip one day but I'll have to brush up on my french first :yes:

Just out of interest what is the general perception of English hounds from the majority over the channel ?

Very appreciated !

For a long time, french went in UK to find some dogs to cross with their own lines or to have pure english lines (harrier, beagle, black and tan).

Concerning terrier, we had nothing, we have used english breeds or from germany.

Concerning hounds we have a lot of breeds. But among these breeds, a lot had been crossed sometimes with hounds from UK.

Usually, french hounds are very well for nose and voice, english ones better for speed, hot-blooded.

One of our famous hound breed is named anglo-francais, every thing is in this name.

Thanks for the reply :thumbs:

I suppose the lack of terriers is because of the Different styles of hunting your have ?

What is the most popular quarry to hunt over there or does it vary from region to region ?

talking to my brother on Skype last night and he had just picked up 2 hound pups yesterday morning from a local lad in the pyrennes.they look like small otter hounds to me but only got a quick look.like welsh hounds but a fair bit stockier.

• 2 weeks later...