Most Durable X

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I cannot speak for others,.but,.personally,.I found my own Red Heeler /Greyhounds to be extremely worthwhile with regards to roustabout hunting/mouching, and durability.

I'd say in my experience collie crosses seem to be pretty robust but speed has its part to play as the impact forces are so much greater with a fast dog, be it be foot to ground or hitting wire etc. A

Hi,..I never realy moved on,...just returned to my roots...

Posted Images

As far as the coyote hounds we have here (Walkers, Julys, Triggs, etc.), I've seen plenty that were silent running. You can get them for a song as most of the breeders here cull them out. I wouldn't think it wouldn't take anything more than a good breeding with a greyhound to make sure to get more silent dogs out of that cross. I don't have any experience with the foxhounds over in the UK.

I've got a friend that has a litter of pups that were born last November out of a greyhound female and a plott male. I'll get the chance to see them come up this winter. I'll take some pictures and see if I can't get them up here. He's got the best Plotts I've ever seen by a long shot.

• Like 1

IMO the more sight hound in the mix, particuly whippet or greyhound, the less robust the dog, which is a bummer for me as i like 3/4 cross,s and if your looking for out and out speed in a lurcher theres no better place to look, a lucky dog is what your after, atb, buster.

Just think what would happen if you took an American Stag Hound and substituted it for the Greyhound. ;)

You would have a much slower dog though Dan, i,v had a couple of 3/4 GH 1/4 DH's and as a Hare dog i couldnt have wanted more, i keep smaller dogs these days but still 3/4 cross's, atb, buster.

I wasn't gonna comment on this cuz most folks just assume I'm being a dick and arguing with them when nothing could be further from the truth but you seem to be one that can handle it so here it goes. Just a simple question for ya since you seem to believe that a pure greyhound bred to a non sighthound breed will throw faster dogs.

So......which litter on average will be faster a greyhound x bulldog or a coursing dog x bulldog? (and by coursing I mean the hare dogs not them silly straight line fuckers that are more useless than a track dog)

IMO the more sight hound in the mix, particuly whippet or greyhound, the less robust the dog, which is a bummer for me as i like 3/4 cross,s and if your looking for out and out speed in a lurcher theres no better place to look, a lucky dog is what your after, atb, buster.

Just think what would happen if you took an American Stag Hound and substituted it for the Greyhound. ;)

You would have a much slower dog though Dan, i,v had a couple of 3/4 GH 1/4 DH's and as a Hare dog i couldnt have wanted more, i keep smaller dogs these days but still 3/4 cross's, atb, buster.

I wasn't gonna comment on this cuz most folks just assume I'm being a dick and arguing with them when nothing could be further from the truth but you seem to be one that can handle it so here it goes. Just a simple question for ya since you seem to believe that a pure greyhound bred to a non sighthound breed will throw faster dogs.

So......which litter on average will be faster a greyhound x bulldog or a coursing dog x bulldog? (and by coursing I mean the hare dogs not them silly straight line fuckers that are more useless than a track dog)

good point Dan, most ive seen and had were straight bullx greys, so dont really know. But you would think a bull back to a straight grey would be faster dog, than coursing dog, as a greyhound is the fastest dog there is .But i think the bull put back to a coursing dog would make a better type all round dog ,with better stamina + feet. The prob is most coursing lads ,i dont think would just want to use a pure bull, might be wrong but dont think so, as you never see this x about much do you .??

good point Dan, most ive seen and had were straight bullx greys, so dont really know. But you would think a bull back to a straight grey would be faster dog, than coursing dog, as a greyhound is the fastest dog there is .But i think the bull put back to a coursing dog would make a better type all round dog ,with better stamina + feet. The prob is most coursing lads ,i dont think would just want to use a pure bull, might be wrong but dont think so, as you never see this x about much do you .??

Just cuz people are stupid don't mean that it is the wrong thing to do hahaha

this is actually a big question without simple answers. and any answer is going to be a generalisation, there will always be exceptions!

i don't personally agree that any first cross will be durable, for example i've seen whippet greys which had brittle feet like matchsticks and skin like tissue paper. i've seen a couple of deer/greys which had superb looking feet and good skin/coat, but were heavy dogs, and of course heavy dogs hitting objects at speed have a lot more energy to dissipate...... i've seen bull/greys with shocking feet, and also the amount of muscle these dogs carry can make them more prone to cramps/rhabdo etc. and out and out speed merchants can take some time to learn how to control their speed, seen a few young sighthound crosses which just hadnt learnt to balance searing pace against gears and drive and the outcome was nasty..

for me, saluki crosses are pretty durable, seem somehow to slide off objects instead of smashing into them, but the real tough nuts i have seen have all had good doses of bedlington or collie. and the beardie first cross is, i think, the real indestructible runner, skin like chain mail, feet you couldnt break with a lump hammer, and not quite enough weight or speed to smash themselves to bits when they do hit something. and i've seen them on some pretty horrendous ground too.

but everybody will have a different opinion on this one!

• Like 4