Most Durable X

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I cannot speak for others,.but,.personally,.I found my own Red Heeler /Greyhounds to be extremely worthwhile with regards to roustabout hunting/mouching, and durability.

I'd say in my experience collie crosses seem to be pretty robust but speed has its part to play as the impact forces are so much greater with a fast dog, be it be foot to ground or hitting wire etc. A

Hi,..I never realy moved on,...just returned to my roots...

Posted Images

IMO the more sight hound in the mix, particuly whippet or greyhound, the less robust the dog, which is a bummer for me as i like 3/4 cross,s and if your looking for out and out speed in a lurcher theres no better place to look, a lucky dog is what your after, atb, buster.

Just think what would happen if you took an American Stag Hound and substituted it for the Greyhound. ;)

If you were in England and you're simply speakin of a first cross of a pure track greyhound and another breed you would be hard pressed to find anything more durable than a foxhound cross. As a matter of fact I don't think you would find anything more durable cuz they are about as tough as they get.

I wish they was more acd crosses about they are hardy and durable offer good obedience, coat and feet heres one i bred out of my old bitch hes acd half cross to a 5/8 3/8 collie grey its my mates and he owned the stud i saw him the other day and was really impressed

I would love another half cross my misses would let me have it in the house they guard really well lolmonty.jpg

IMO the more sight hound in the mix, particuly whippet or greyhound, the less robust the dog, which is a bummer for me as i like 3/4 cross,s and if your looking for out and out speed in a lurcher theres no better place to look, a lucky dog is what your after, atb, buster.

Just think what would happen if you took an American Stag Hound and substituted it for the Greyhound. ;)

You would have a much slower dog though Dan, i,v had a couple of 3/4 GH 1/4 DH's and as a Hare dog i couldnt have wanted more, i keep smaller dogs these days but still 3/4 cross's, atb, buster.

If you were in England and you're simply speakin of a first cross of a pure track greyhound and another breed you would be hard pressed to find anything more durable than a foxhound cross. As a matter of fact I don't think you would find anything more durable cuz they are about as tough as they get.

Dont you think they would be liable to open up Dan, i,v watched trail hounds run in the lake district, stamina packed and tough as old boots but boy do they make a racket, not a good trait if you happen to have no sence of direction :thumbs: , atb, buster.

Dont you think they would be liable to open up Dan, i,v watched trail hounds run in the lake district, stamina packed and tough as old boots but boy do they make a racket, not a good trait if you happen to have no sence of direction :thumbs: , atb, buster.

Ya you know some of them will but I'll be honest I got a dog gone half cross here at my right now out of a bulldogxairedale gyp bred to my Stitch dog I used to have and that sumbitch gets to squeakin and a squakin when you get in the timber ground and he comes unsighted but I had a hound cross here that never said a damn word ever. Some of em will though I'm sure but most of em will run silent. Yalls foxhounds are way different than our coyote hounds though. Most of our coyote hounds that I hunt anyhow will open on trail but when they lay eyes on a coyote you will never hear another peep out them cuz they are aiming to catch it and aint gotta whole lota time to be opening.

the old smaller type fox hounds are tougher than the modern (show) hounds of today,.........the old ones draw anywhere and are great hounds for the right terrain ........bit like the welsh fox hounds........

the old English are hard too beat......but for lurcher work pre ban doing foxes ,..........well that's another debate......