Most Durable X

I'd say in my experience collie crosses seem to be pretty robust but speed has its part to play as the impact forces are so much greater with a fast dog, be it be foot to ground or hitting wire etc. A 1/2 grey/collie cross should in general get less injuries than a 3/4 grey. Then some are just fecking stupid/accident prone, bit like people lol.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 5

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I cannot speak for others,.but,.personally,.I found my own Red Heeler /Greyhounds to be extremely worthwhile with regards to roustabout hunting/mouching, and durability.

I'd say in my experience collie crosses seem to be pretty robust but speed has its part to play as the impact forces are so much greater with a fast dog, be it be foot to ground or hitting wire etc. A

Hi,..I never realy moved on,...just returned to my roots...

Posted Images

Seen half cross collies very robust on the welsh hills as said one the old fellas I use to speak to would only use this cross and got a beddybullgrey here now and is solid hes hit fences postes and not a sound just back up and running his old man is the same very tough dog

IMO the more sight hound in the mix, particuly whippet or greyhound, the less robust the dog, which is a bummer for me as i like 3/4 cross,s and if your looking for out and out speed in a lurcher theres no better place to look, a lucky dog is what your after, atb, buster.

IMO the more sight hound in the mix, particuly whippet or greyhound, the less robust the dog, which is a bummer for me as i like 3/4 cross,s and if your looking for out and out speed in a lurcher theres no better place to look, a lucky dog is what your after, atb, buster.

Like a fast dog with tunnel vision my self,but it normally comes at a price,solution get 2 :)

• Like 1

one thing i think the collie x does offer it doesn't make the same mistake twice, when jazz was younger she's knocked herself out and torn open her chest, her drive was fierce, i was scared to take her lamping but whether its maturing or learning or maybe both............down side to being tough is and i don't know if its just her or whether its a collie x trait but even when she's hurt she doesn't tend to show it ......if she whines or limps i know its for real

• Like 2

I may be wrong but Surely the faster the dog the more injury its prone to ??? The slower of my two has had 2 injurys that have stopped him working in 4 years. The faster one has had a few. I dont think theres a particular x that is more durable than others i sort of think its down to the dog in qestion. Alot of my local ground is extremely stony and ive found the stronger and slower types seem to do alot better than the more speedy type if that makes sence.

Your right would think so but as mention nothing set in stone, my muka has a greyhound that has out worked his sons first x collie/grey bitch only did 2 seasons then injury to wrist the grey dog is on it 5 season and ran everywhere even on mountains in wales