Defender Advice

Also to add to the getting stuck, I used to try and get mine stuck in bogs and half up steep inclines etc. I only put it in 4wd a handful of times as it just didn't need it to get out!

Put a decent set of tyres on it and a defender will just eat whatever you throw at it!

a 300tdi landrover is in constant 4 wheel drive but with a lockable centre difflock :thumbs:

Im assuming the Greg pick up had the 300tdi fitted because if you thought it was a geniune G reg with a factory fitted 300 in it..then it was a bent un :laugh:

Hit the nail on the head

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sorry to put a damper on things guys, i have a defender 300tdi, 1997, 115,000 mile, does aprox 30mpg, passes mot every year ( apart from when needed brake pipes etc due to corrosion, and new rear cros

I use the defender to travel to my permission 120 mls round trip not a problem unless your in a hurry and yes they are agricultural and don't come near to the comfort you find in jap stuff they do get

For £3000 you will get a lump of rusty metal that will break down all the time...... But you will get £3000 back for it.....   £3000 would also buy you a nice 3.0 hilux surf, or other jap truck.....

I've had a couple in this price range

Fantastic motor mine didn't break much at all and the beauty of a simple car is it's simple to fix

I've currently got a 110 with 200tdi

New chassis and bulkhead on it and picked it up for under 3000

There are good ones out there

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 3.0 v6 shogun, only mods are 2" suspension lift and has 35" extreme muds.

i challenge anyone in a landrover with the same mods to follow me around any off road site.

i have rear diff locker, comfortable seats, waterproof body, electric windows, working heater, audible radio all as standard.

i'll pull you back to the gate before i go home, because your (chocolate) axles will be in bits (35's and standard lr axles don't go well together)

i paid £1500 including the tyres. does 19 mpg, body work is good, chassis is immaculate.

Edited by irishnut
  • Like 1

i have a 3.0 v6 shogun, only mods are 2" suspension lift and has 35" extreme muds.

i challenge anyone in a landrover with the same mods to follow me around any off road site.

i have rear diff locker, comfortable seats, waterproof body, electric windows, working heater, audible radio all as standard.

i'll pull you back to the gate before i go home, because your (chocolate) axles will be in bits (35's and standard lr axles don't go well together)

i paid £1500 including the tyres. does 19 mpg, body work is good, chassis is immaculate.

Waht would it cost you for say a wheel bearing?

Or Head Gasket?

Set of Brakes?

:hmm:

Admittedly, sound like you got not a bad deal there tho :thumbs:

Or Head Gasket?

Set of Brakes?

its a jap jeep, it doesn't need a wheel bearing or head gasket (x2 as its v6) every year lol.

brake pads cost me £21+vat for front and £17+vat rear.

• 2 weeks later...

Or Head Gasket?

Set of Brakes?

Well I will answer that for him, he wont be needing them very often so its irrelevant really, and he wont need track rod ends or a new steering box every mot either.

• 7 months later...

And defenders are much cheaper to fix than the jap crap lol just means ull probably be doing more fixing!

that is utter shit. GOOD parts for bland rovers are the same price as jap trucks. however cheap nasty britpart etc is cheap and crap.

the probably be doing more fixing, is 100% correct.

And did you know that out of all the series and defenders ever built a stupid number like 75% are still on the road

That's gotta stand for something

and most of them go dingaling when their driving down the road haha

again this is utter shit. when was the last time you seen a series land rover all original? around 1984 is my guess. they are like triggers brush, 10 new heads and 6 new shafts.

new chassis, axles, engine, gearbox and doors, but its still the same old 1971 series 2!!!!

Wouldn't swap my 90 for anything, its been great and never let me down. Its abserlutely great fun to drive and when I get in anything else it feels so boring as the landy is so full of character.. Its been simple and cheap to repair not that its needed much doing and its been indistructable off road nothing broke yet. Iv run it on veg oil (which it seems to run better on) insurance is cheap and after fitting an uprated intercooler has bags of power. It makes me jump out of bed on a morning just at the thought of driving it to work and the novelty has never worn off. As for oil leaks iv had a few drips so had to change a £3 hub seal and a £10 output shaft seal witch there quick easy jobs. I can abuse offroad and chuck stuff in the back of it and when It needs washing i can power wash it inside and out. I love it, wouldn't have anything else and those who don't like them its up to you but iv seen many people with that opinion who have never even been in one. I like jap 4x4,s too but for me I'll stick with my landy!

• Like 1

i've had 7 or 8 landies, 2 which i totally rebuilt from scratch up.

to say that you can abuse a standard landy off road without damage is just wishful thinking. although i think a lot of peoples idea of "abusing offroad" falls way short of what i mean.

ashcroft makes a good living selling uprated parts to cope with strains of off roading. from half shafts to transfer boxs