Defender Advice

I am saving for a defender quite like swb 90 pickup I want the 2.5d as only my second car so insurance would be to high for a turbo got about £3000 so what would I get for my money age and miles rise is there any thing to look out noise hidden rust spots etc and what sort of mpg would I get from it and is there any model not to get and what they like for towing and repair price

many thanks for any advice

hugo

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sorry to put a damper on things guys, i have a defender 300tdi, 1997, 115,000 mile, does aprox 30mpg, passes mot every year ( apart from when needed brake pipes etc due to corrosion, and new rear cros

I use the defender to travel to my permission 120 mls round trip not a problem unless your in a hurry and yes they are agricultural and don't come near to the comfort you find in jap stuff they do get

For £3000 you will get a lump of rusty metal that will break down all the time...... But you will get £3000 back for it.....   £3000 would also buy you a nice 3.0 hilux surf, or other jap truck.....

Only buy one if you are good with spanners and don't want to drive it long distance I have had jap trucks then decided to try a td5 had it for a few years but in the end had to go back to jap go and try a few different make you will soon make your mind up atb with what ever you get

Edited by bullcross13

I wouldnt bother with a defender unless you had more like 10 grand........ They just hold there money so well that you have to shell out for a good'un.

3 grands worth of 3.0 hilux surf gen 3 would be a good reliable motor.......So would 3 grands worth of diahatsu fourtrak.

They would be my choices...........

Don't do it they are a pile of crap, you will be under it constantly, I should know I used to be a Landrover mechanic, instead buy yourself a Shogun, Trooper, Nissan terrano 2, something that wont go wrong constantly, oh and the 2.5 n/a is as gutless as fu-k, and the 2.5td blow up at 70k, if you really must waste your hard earned cash, a 200tdi at the very least, DONT DO IT.

Learn to weld and your half way there, I bought one 2 months ago I've spent the last 2 months under it and had it fail the mot on Somat stupid today lol it will pass next week! It's a j reg 200tdi and I've loved every minute of it but it's definatly a love hate thing! If you can find one cheap enough and put your blood sweat and tears in to it you just won't loose money!

sorry to put a damper on things guys, i have a defender 300tdi, 1997, 115,000 mile, does aprox 30mpg, passes mot every year ( apart from when needed brake pipes etc due to corrosion, and new rear cross member), get under it once a year to service it, twice a year to spray black oil on the chassis. pulls my trailer full of firewood like a f****n train ( 8x4 with high sides ifor williams) etc etc, and to the contrary, i have had jap crap........ i would never consider anything else than a landrover tbh, had her second hand from 3 years old............... pulled many a "jap" 4x4 out of shit. There ya go fella, a different opinion for you.

But i have had it stuck up to the floor panels just the once :icon_redface::D

Regards

• Like 8

Ive got one had it for 9-10 years, and I love it. It breaks down a fair bit (currently having a new gearbox put in). But I would not change it. If you are willing to learn and have a bit of mechanical know how you should be fine.

here's a pic of mine.

IMG_0884-1.jpg

Edited by Rawly86
  • Like 2

I wouldnt bother with a defender unless you had more like 10 grand........ They just hold there money so well that you have to shell out for a good'un.

3 grands worth of 3.0 hilux surf gen 3 would be a good reliable motor.......So would 3 grands worth of diahatsu fourtrak.

They would be my choices...........

A fourtrak makes a series 3 land rover look modern and highly speced....lol awful bits of shit.

sorry to put a damper on things guys, i have a defender 300tdi, 1997, 115,000 mile, does aprox 30mpg, passes mot every year ( apart from when needed brake pipes etc due to corrosion, and new rear cross member), get under it once a year to service it, twice a year to spray black oil on the chassis. pulls my trailer full of firewood like a f****n train ( 8x4 with high sides ifor williams) etc etc, and to the contrary, i have had jap crap........ i would never consider anything else than a landrover tbh, had her second hand from 3 years old............... pulled many a "jap" 4x4 out of shit. There ya go fella, a different opinion for you.

But i have had it stuck up to the floor panels just the once :icon_redface::D

Regards

But your 97 300tdi is probably worth £6000+

Like I said £3000 would buy you a lump of old shit.........

• Like 2