Famous Terriermen

So your saying all these "authors" / terrier men inspire, if you can't get inspiration from your dogs an actually been out working them, then give it up, like how many of these lads that are writing these books/fanzines actually contribute anything back to the terrier world, like donating money to working terrier clubs or other associated clubs???? I doubt it very much any of them are, too busy lining there own pockets

there books could be read by youngsters who may not have dogs yet but might after reading it. if someones purely out for money there must be far easier ways than writing terrier or lurcher books and the spanish inquisition that goes with it :laugh:
but how many youngsters that aren't into dogs gonna go out an buy or borrow a book on terriers or terrier men very few in my opinion, also it's lads that are already in the game that are mostly buying these books, I've always had interest in the up keep of dogs,whether they be German shepherds or lurches or terriers, but u do have a fair point, but what got me into terriers which is a bit of a strange one was when the cook report exposed TP, probably not the right thing to inspire me but it did an I'm delighted I watched it as a young lad, so gonna eat humble pie an say if that inspired me a terrier book can inspire the next generation of working terrier enthusiasts

if a book inspires only one youngster to get involved in any field sport then its achieved something

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bluck's name shouldn't even be in the same sentence as ''Harcombe'' !

The above 2 that you mentioned are fame hungry terrier men rather than famous, as u said about your own mate nobody's heard of him an that's the way it should be, in all fairness who the f##k wants fa

Always woundered how people become famous dog men and the internet also is a big factor !! Bet way is get your head down and put the miles in dont worrie what anyone else has in there kennels worrie a

Posted Images

So your saying all these "authors" / terrier men inspire, if you can't get inspiration from your dogs an actually been out working them, then give it up, like how many of these lads that are writing these books/fanzines actually contribute anything back to the terrier world, like donating money to working terrier clubs or other associated clubs???? I doubt it very much any of them are, too busy lining there own pockets

there books could be read by youngsters who may not have dogs yet but might after reading it. if someones purely out for money there must be far easier ways than writing terrier or lurcher books and the spanish inquisition that goes with it :laugh:
but how many youngsters that aren't into dogs gonna go out an buy or borrow a book on terriers or terrier men very few in my opinion, also it's lads that are already in the game that are mostly buying these books, I've always had interest in the up keep of dogs,whether they be German shepherds or lurches or terriers, but u do have a fair point, but what got me into terriers which is a bit of a strange one was when the cook report exposed TP, probably not the right thing to inspire me but it did an I'm delighted I watched it as a young lad, so gonna eat humble pie an say if that inspired me a terrier book can inspire the next generation of working terrier enthusiasts

if a book inspires only one youngster to get involved in any field sport then its achieved something

here here!!!

Always woundered how people become famous dog men and the internet also is a big factor !! Bet way is get your head down and put the miles in dont worrie what anyone else has in there kennels worrie about whats in your own thats the way I look at it but I do like to sit down and listen to the older generation tell the storys of days gone by!! Hunting is the best feeling in the world when its going right and the worse when going wrong but the true dog men and the ones that pick the heads up after a shit day not throw the towel in !!

• Like 10

I don't think the authors of these books make as much money out of writing books as some people think, especially considering the time it must take to compile one, I bet the printers and publishers take the majority of the money.

I've always enjoyed reading books related to hunting ever since I was old enough to read properly but back then it was much harder to get good quality books that weren't full of fiction, nowadays I think the quality of the books ( not all ) are miles better.

Books do bring a certain amount of fame to the author but its how that author deals with it that proper opinions should be based, if he starts knocking pups out for fortunes all of a sudden then it's obvious what his motives were, but if he carrys on the way he always did and writes the odd book then good luck to him I say.

If people spent more time reading the good books instead of most of the crap posted on here then they would be a lot less stupid topics from clueless people on the forums.

The Internet does far more damage to hunting than any book ever will.

• Like 5

As for authors , I buy there book to read for a bit of light entertainment not to judge who ever wrote it. Anyone who does different is a bit strange in my eyes.

but surely the content of the book will lead you to make a judgement about the author, not everyone will like certain styles the same as with the internet :hmm:

I has to split it.

Fame terrierman into fame and terrierman

Fame is for me someone who is well known

(for some i realy dont know why they are and noone can explane me why up to now)

The other is terrierman.

You can not call yourself a terrierman if you do that then you are not!

Other people make you a terrierman!

Because of your style you see and handle things about terrier and terrierwork.

-Will you step up if a terrier or a other dog owner is in need!

-will you help guys out with terrier, diggingtools, locator, and, and...!

-or will you help guys with ideas or your know how!

-how you treat/handle your own and other peoples dogs!

-how you treat the quarry!

-and

-and

-and

Hope you understand what i want to say!

Edited by bitchie
  • Like 1

Some people will always crave fame and attention wether its working or showing dogs. We all know who they are it's usually accompanied by plenty of self promotion. I know lads and I'm sure all of you do that have never bought a terrier book or been to a show or on Internet forums, they get all the kicks they need from seeing their dogs work

• Like 6

Always woundered how people become famous dog men and the internet also is a big factor !! Bet way is get your head down and put the miles in dont worrie what anyone else has in there kennels worrie about whats in your own thats the way I look at it but I do like to sit down and listen to the older generation tell the storys of days gone by!! Hunting is the best feeling in the world when its going right and the worse when going wrong but the true dog men and the ones that pick the heads up after a shit day not throw the towel in !!

well said mate ;) I do admire people like harcombe for what he as done for the terrier world & he doesn't go making ££ out of them he does it all for pleasure of working his terriers like it should be & he is a cracking author to ;) atb cbx
  • Like 2

I like. Hunting books and have a few the ones we're the author writes about his OWN escapades. Are the best like hardcombes the authors who write the tales of others is for money simple as and Thers a fair bit involved if someone can write a book and sell 1000 copies @ 30 quid a pop ther on a nice wage believe that fair play to them for getting of there arse and doing it hardcombes books are the best for me just think he lets himself down by slating plummer every chance he gets

• Like 2