Nephews First Hog

• 2 weeks later...

He's a staghound , about 30in

He handled them well catches them on the ear or back of there head an waits for me to get there

good dog that, reading on the Oz site that they use big dane xs and bullxs most on pigs there,but few still like to use stags, as they can catch alot more other quarry than the other xs.?

I've got a dvd where there hunting hog in oz and all of his dogs are pit x dane cros stags.said that if they dint have stag in them then they wouldn't catch half the hogs that they do.but he also has bull x pits with only a small percentage of stag in them to hold the heavier boars.......there's a clip were he shows a hog which is running and jumping over fallen logs and I must say for a big hog they sure can be swift on there feet.....(trotters)

Love you dog swamphunter.

I was wondering if the hogs are any good for eating? Or are they just pests that need killed? I have visions of it spinning on a spit above a large open fire, you and your mates drinking a load of beer before it's ready! Stereotypical I know, I blame tv.

Love you dog swamphunter.

I was wondering if the hogs are any good for eating? Or are they just pests that need killed? I have visions of it spinning on a spit above a large open fire, you and your mates drinking a load of beer before it's ready! Stereotypical I know, I blame tv.

Not sure if swamphunter eats its but I'm guessing he does. I personally like wild hog just fine. Its a darker red pork then your traditional domestic hogs. We used to cut the nuts off the boars and turn em back loose or we would cut em and my buddy would take em home and flush em out with corn and water for a month or so and then eat them. The sows was good to go though right away.

Thanks for your reply, you chop the nuts off to stop them breeding or because the testosterone spoils the meat?

I don't know about others, but I find other countries hunting and sport fascinating.

Both but I'm not from down there. I just had a really good buddy in S. Louisiana that I used to go hunt with.