Very Quiet Pellet Trap / Backstop

Hi mate, I've got the same problem, in that I've got complaining neighbours, what I use is a cardboard box, lined with a builders bag and then filled with hardwood sawdust which packs down quite compact, I can use it for around 300 pellets by just taping more card to the front and its wonderfully quiet with no ricochets at all, just go online looking for your local timber yard or joinery manufacturer and they are usually more than happy to give hardwood sawdust away as it can't be used for animals, and even if you have to pay for the boxes they are quite cheap at most storage companies

Hope this helps

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi,   I want to set up a paper target in my garden at 10m distance (its all my small garden will allow).   I intended to buy one of these:     The thing is that I want to fill it with somethi

Best and Safest is Bags of Buiders Sand - Bag Split Rebag them   Carpet after a while espeically around Centre of Target Area will break down after so many shots   A Safety Steel plate will make a

might struggle to hang that on his fence

Posted Images

Surely the problem with that is after a few shots the bag will be decimated and all the bark/sand will fall out everywhere.

you would think but not really, pellets pretty much go in the same place so you have a few holes but not spread out enough to tear bag clean open. ive used same bag for about 8 months and still ok. i'll put a picture up in the morning when its light.

fill the target holder with crumpled up newspaper till its packed ... and for a backstop get a big thick piece of polystyrine (as used in packing washing machines/tumble dryers etc ..... mount this on some plywood and it will be quiet , mobile, and cheap as well as stopping the pellets ... but quiet enough not to annoy the neighbours :D

I'm with you dan, I'm very sceptical on some of tees methods (no offence ment what's so ever!) I shot at 10 mats of thin carpet esturday which built up a compressed thickness of about 5 inches and it went through 7 of those mats after a 5 shot grouping with my s200 .177 , I really think u need a steel backing whatever!

I've been using this lol.... :thumbs:

It's a old crate with some old carpet folded up, i've got long screws to hold it in place, I've then just got a large paper clip which I use to hand card targets which I print with different designs.

I've got loads on PDF targets if anyone wants then sending inbox me, but easy to find via google.

post-87750-0-32966200-1380019850.jpg

Hi,

I want to set up a paper target in my garden at 10m distance (its all my small garden will allow).

I intended to buy one of these:

Target_Funnel_Pellet_Catche.gif

The thing is that I want to fill it with something to make the target as quiet as possible. I only have a small garden in a residential area so I don't want the sound of pellets on metal echo-ing around the neighbourhood. As silent as possible is required.

Anyone have any ideas or better targets I can look at please?

Also, this target needs to be hung on a fence. So I take it that some sort of extra backstop is needed just in case I miss the target. I've heard that carpet is effective? I need something that would stop the pellet from penetrating and ricocheting. I'd need to mount it to the fence panel and then mount the target on top of that.

Thanks

At 30 yards my .22 Air Ranger (now sold), went through the metal on one of these after about 100 shots....

You could get a pellet trap and pack the back of it with plumbers mait.... http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/plumbing-supplies/joint_compounds___putty/Evo-Stik-Plumber-s-Mait-456105-1-5Kg-9271757?skuId=9281457

It's strong putty that will keep it silent :)

A cardboard box 6" in depth by about 15" square filled with folded newspapers. 5,000 shots from a FAC .177 at 10m and not one pellet has ever made it through to the back of the box. If shooting outside I would have at least a 3' square of carpet behind the box on the fence and have a ledge to rest the box on so I could put it away when finished shooting.

Thanks for all the replies so far, its given me some great ideas and tips.

So far I've got a piece of 600mm x 600mm sheet steel and a piece of 600mm x 600mm x40mm chipboard kitchen worktop. The worktop and steel sheet will form the back of the box, and I'll use about 6" wide wood for the sides, which will allow a depth of 4" carpet in the middle. Should give me a nice size area for attaching targets to.

My only concern is whether the carpet will want to sort of sag out of the middle once it's upright. Not sure how to stop this.

Edit. Hmm having watched that video again I am wondering if I should try and make it deeper.

Edited by dangerousdan

Here is mine. Home made silent trap.

http://youtu.be/Ykucz0tpksY

Love the video and the idea, the issue I have is this. 1 pellet went through 4 layers of carpet. You put 10 shots pellet on pellet, I would imagine that at least one of those pellets made it through to the last layer of carpet.

When I plink in the garden, I will shoot a full air cylinder, 8-9 mags so 100-120 shots. In practice I have found this will get through the carpet and I need to change it out each session (or pick a different spot to shoot at).

I found that if you fill the box with heavy duty old clothes, like denim, they last MUCH longer than carpet. I have shot 1000+ shots into a box filled with old jeans and not one has reached the other side.

I guess I am saying 1) BOX is amazing, great bit of DIY and handy to refill with whatever medium works best. 2) The "medium" you use is the thing to research and practice with. Me, I say get down to the charity shop, buy 6-7 pairs of old jeans and use those.

Well I now have:

2 sheets of 600mm square thin steel plate.

1 piece of 600mm square 40mm thick kitchen worktop

6 inch thickness of 500mm square carpet tiles (some with thick rubber backing)

Wood for sides of box.

So the only thing now is some way of holding the carpet in the box when its vertical.

Edited by dangerousdan

Jeez Dangerous dan. how many hundreds of tips are you going to need before you feel happy to shoot your minus 12 fpe rifle in your miniscule garden?? FFS! whats the point of having a b****Y air rifle if you are too scared to shoot the B*****Y thing??...... Why dont you get yourself a plastic ball shooting BB gun and ensure me and the other shooters on here can get a good nights ****** sleep while you torture yourself if you might kill someone about 500 yards away? God allmighty,Please respond in about 25 years after myself and other grownups have passed away?. :yes:

Edited by Tron

Jeez Dangerous dan. how many hundreds of tips are you going to need before you feel happy to shoot your minus 12 fpe rifle in your miniscule garden?? FFS! whats the point of having a b****Y air rifle if you are too scared to shoot the B*****Y thing??...... Why dont you get yourself a plastic ball shooting BB gun and ensure me and the other shooters on here can get a good nights ****** sleep while you torture yourself if you might kill someone about 500 yards away? God allmighty,Please respond in about 25 years after myself and other grownups have passed away?. :yes:

F**k off.