If Deerhounds Aren't What They Were

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

having been a fan for decades i see a time nearing when the show v working type have as big a difference as show v working / racing greyhound, granted the show guys are breeding more to an almost wolf

i can trace mine back i think on the deerhound / lurcher side 8 generations or so and obviously more on the greyhound side, they've all worked way pre ban but thats not the point of this thread, altho

Posted Images

:icon_eek: Never had them called whippet types before, thats a new one.. :) as for not having speed, well I'd disagree on that, different running style to a 29" dog I agree, but a lot more versatile, whilst still maintaining the deerhound stamina and nature, but to me they are still deerhound types.

_DSC3543-24.jpg

_DSC3726-6.jpg

_DSC3582-61.jpg

DSC0056.jpg

_DSC0872-131.jpg

I could never have ran the 29" bitch through woods.. (nor could I a whippety type come to think of it)

_DSC1132-67.jpg

_DSC0372-31.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

dog on the left is a collie x, other 3 are deerhound x's

419013_10150699870939314_463084901_n.jpg

Nice dogs and some decent photos. Is the big dog the 29" bitch and the 2 smaller rough dogs the 23" DH blooded animals? The photo doesn't seem to show that big a difference in size, maybe it's the angle.

I still say there's no way your 23" dogs would keep up with my 30" dog. He'd leave them behind after 5 strides and continue to pull away. That's no criticism of your dogs, it's just physics. Granted a smaller dog looks faster but side by side the difference is clear.

• Like 1

@ satan 80, how's the pup coming on mate?

Great mate cheers for asking! Will try and update that thread with some new pictures this weekend.

Some cracking dogs in this thread, all of Keeps dogs look awesome

:thumbs:

sorry must dissagree with 'kranky'.........just physics?............ a big dog with bigger stride is quicker ?...........does that mean a borzoi will be faster than a whippet?..........does the speed of that stride not count?.........have you ever watched a wee non ped at the lurcher racing ?................even historically how many waterloo cup winners were bigger types? ...........surely 'physics' will dictate a bigger dog with longer legs and more weight to mobilise must have slower movements ?.......is the big size increase in deerhounds (some books say 5 or 6" in height in the last century) not one of the breeds modern failings ?

• Like 1

sorry must dissagree with 'kranky'.........just physics?............ a big dog with bigger stride is quicker ?...........does that mean a borzoi will be faster than a whippet?..........does the speed of that stride not count?.........have you ever watched a wee non ped at the lurcher racing ?................even historically how many waterloo cup winners were bigger types? ...........surely 'physics' will dictate a bigger dog with longer legs and more weight to mobilise must have slower movements ?.......is the big size increase in deerhounds (some books say 5 or 6" in height in the last century) not one of the breeds modern failings ?

I don't think it's right to mention a Borzoi. Let's stick to working deerhounds and their x's.

The speed of the stride is relative to the distance of that stride. A lot of people believe the frantic stride of a small dog to be propelling that dog faster than the long slow stride of a big dog. That's not the case. People who've actually worked big dogs or have seen them work know all about speed.

I wonder how many Waterloo Cup entrants were 23".

If you can get hold of a fast non ped whippet, bring it down and we'll have a few long runs. You'll see the difference then.

• Like 5

I don't think it's right to mention a Borzoi. Let's stick to working deerhounds and their x's.

The speed of the stride is relative to the distance of that stride. A lot of people believe the frantic stride of a small dog to be propelling that dog faster than the long slow stride of a big dog. That's not the case. People who've actually worked big dogs or have seen them work know all about speed.

I wonder how many Waterloo Cup entrants were 23".

If you can get hold of a fast non ped whippet, bring it down and we'll have a few long runs. You'll see the difference then.

Stride may win over at the outset, especially if running in a straight line, but not against a more agile smaller faster dog that also has stamina, how many rabbits/hares run straight...

1/2 deer grey & 1/4 collie 3/4 greyhound

Excuse the fuzziness of these photos..these are old pre-ban photos, in the days before I had a decent camera

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

• Like 1

If I wanted small agile dogs then I wouldn't choose deerhound blood. I'd go for something smaller. The deerhound x puppies that are on the ground now should all make 27" + and that's what I'd expect. I've chosen one of the biggest pups for myself.

There were plenty of hares that would run in a straight line when they realised that the dog didn't have the speed to keep up. My 30" dog doesn't lack agility, but I've never held him back or prevented him from running.

Peoples preconceptions and long held fallacies are what dictate to them what certain dogs can do. People without access to the internet usually have a better idea of what dogs can do from 1st hand experience. How many people on here tell you that Deerhound x's are slow to mature, even though they've never owned one? Plenty! Because they believe it to be true and then repeat what they've read to make themselves sound more knowledgeable.

If you want a small agile dog for twisting and turning bunnies then I think you're missing the point of a deerhound x.

• Like 2

Think people say that because deerhound's can be slow to mature in themselves,

doesn't necessarily mean a deerhound x will be slow to mature as you have to factor in what breeds have gone in to the dog,

but having said that all dogs can be different even with in the same breed.

my own experience my full deerhound was slow to mature both mentally and physically,

she only started taking an interest in chasing anything just after she turned 4

shes 5 now, yesterday i watched her fly through the trees on the back of a bunny the beddie x had flushed out

she lost it in the cover as she stumbled on the deep ridges the 4x4's have left.

It would have been a bonus if she had of caught it, but to watch a 32" dog twist and turn through the trees

is something in its self to watch.

Think people say that because deerhound's can be slow to mature in themselves,

doesn't necessarily mean a deerhound x will be slow to mature as you have to factor in what breeds have gone in to the dog,

but having said that all dogs can be different even with in the same breed.

my own experience my full deerhound was slow to mature both mentally and physically,

she only started taking an interest in chasing anything just after she turned 4

shes 5 now, yesterday i watched her fly through the trees on the back of a bunny the beddie x had flushed out

she lost it in the cover as she stumbled on the deep ridges the 4x4's have left.

It would have been a bonus if she had of caught it, but to watch a 32" dog twist and turn through the trees

is something in its self to watch.

The people supporting the misconceptions will tell you that your dog can't run through trees or can't catch a rabbit, because she's 32".

And that's my point, there's too many people around with an opinion they formed because of something they read on the internet.

It's funny how a lot of the coursing dogs, before the Saluki arrived, were heavily DH influenced and you'd never see a 23" dog on the field back then. Maybe those fellas knew nothing and should've used smaller, faster and more agile dogs rather than the slow, ponderous beasts that they did. Or maybe they actually got out and did a bit so knew what was best.

• Like 1