First Day Beating

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I turned up Saturday morning bright eyed and bushy tailed, everyone was very welcoming and friendly. Kept dog on lead while we were on the yard and guns were signing in and stuff. Headed out onto t

I'd rather see a dog on a lead than f***ing the drive up.... LOL

I'd rather a guy with a stick, clapper or flag than a dog on the lead mate. No point.

Posted Images

Lab, If all you are going to do is keep it on a lead the whole season then I agree, but even dogs that are a bit deaf at times can be used for blanking in a hedge row, picking up or whatever, as long as the handler is willing to put up with a dog with limited use that's their business as far as I'm concerned. Their's an insight into our ramshackle shoot, LOL.

Lab, If all you are going to do is keep it on a lead the whole season then I agree, but even dogs that are a bit deaf at times can be used for blanking in a hedge row, picking up or whatever, as long as the handler is willing to put up with a dog with limited use that's their business as far as I'm concerned. Their's an insight into our ramshackle shoot, LOL.

I reckon youve got a dog that you cant let of the lead eh?... :tongue2::laugh:

I suppose at the end of the day if the OP doesn't mind having his dog on a lead then realistically that's all that matters.

Me, I can think of nothing worse, some of the places I beat it's hard enough without a dog wrapping itself around your legs or a tree or going under when you're going over. Bugger that.

I reckon youve got a dog that you cant let of the lead eh?... :tongue2::laugh:

She's steadier with birds than half the spaniels I've seen, all bets are off with fur though.

Take a lead and use it if you need it. How you work your dog is up to you.

Before I had the dog I watched the line at particular drives where it slowed , stopped and key flushing points . When I started taking her I would at certain times put her on he lead just to steady her. Now I'll get her to come in to heel and sit to steady her or stop her before working a steep bank . But like a previous post said the ground here needs a dog that can think and work its self and there is no way you could cross it never mind cross it with a dog on the lead.

I still use the lead when waiting in the farmyard first thing and sometimes when waiting for guns to finish drinks etc and get in position. I reckon it steadies her and keeps her away from the crazy gang (spaniels) . Some other beaters don't mind what their dogs get up to whilst waiting on drives and sometimes even during drives .

Don't think there is any shame in taking a lead and using whenever you want.

• Like 1

Take a lead and use it if you need it. How you work your dog is up to you.

Before I had the dog I watched the line at particular drives where it slowed , stopped and key flushing points . When I started taking her I would at certain times put her on he lead just to steady her. Now I'll get her to come in to heel and sit to steady her or stop her before working a steep bank . But like a previous post said the ground here needs a dog that can think and work its self and there is no way you could cross it never mind cross it with a dog on the lead.

I still use the lead when waiting in the farmyard first thing and sometimes when waiting for guns to finish drinks etc and get in position. I reckon it steadies her and keeps her away from the crazy gang (spaniels) . Some other beaters don't mind what their dogs get up to whilst waiting on drives and sometimes even during drives .

Don't think there is any shame in taking a lead and using whenever you want.

A good few shooting people should take note of this informative article,especially the last few sentences.As I have said before,the majority wander down to a drive with the lead off " dog raking about,whistles blowing,game gone for for miles around" then low and behold the lead and corkscrew go on upon arrival at the peg" Laughable.

• Like 1

just take it and get stuck in, at one point me and my mate were travelling all over beating and im yet to get a real bolloking off a keeper and iv had a few pups do daft stuff,if your unsure just pop lead on her,its always the same story....can you come beating here? its sound but the head keepers a bit of a handfull,sod it. youll be reyt!

• Like 2

just take it and get stuck in, at one point me and my mate were travelling all over beating and im yet to get a real bolloking off a keeper and iv had a few pups do daft stuff,if your unsure just pop lead on her,its always the same story....can you come beating here? its sound but the head keepers a bit of a handfull,sod it. youll be reyt!

Your right pal,there are some keepers who shouldn't be in the job and can't handle the pressure,bad tradesman always blames their tools.I go picking up with in reason, on my terms because I've got confidence in my dogs ability,

Stick in.