A Plea For Guidence...

1sttimeFalconer91

Hi everyone

Im starting this thread in order to ask for a little help (a lot) I am currently training a Harris Hawk (my first bird and ambition since I was a child) At this time he is ready to be entered which is more daunting then I ever thought it was going to be. I don't have any ferrets at the moment because I wouldn't know how to work and manage them and also because at first I didnt think I would really need them however it is another aspect of falconry I wish to learn about. The permissions I have to fly the hawk on seem to lack any evidence of rabbits which was surprising and disappointing (I guess this shows my inexperience) I was wondering weather there is anybody nearby (North Walsham, North Norfolk) that would be willing to let me and my bird tag along with them this season and learn how to use ferrets successfully. Of course I would be without the bird until I acquire my own ferret and allow the hawk to become accustomed to it avoiding the obvious nasty accidents in the field.

Thanks very much for your time.

Rich

mate you wanna post this in the falconry section, ferreting a piece of piss, especially if you simply bolting to a hawk, pop ferret in occupied warren and stand back quietly and wait for the fun to begin, could nopt be easier, however the hawk will need to be broke to ferrets, you really need to get the hawk killing asap as if they not entered that's when the problems begin, has the fella mentoring you not got some ferrets, most austingers keep em,

the cover is still quite high most places and land is being worked over be farmers so must shit that lives in the country side will only come out at night, give it a while to die back a little and you find quarry easier, use a beating stick to poke and bash stuff out of deeper cover, or get yourself a spaniel or terrier, harris a very versatile bird and will take more sorts of quarry than any other type fo bird so you should be fine , its all about finding the right set ups , but get it killing soon pal, if you aint got a mentor maybe consider selling the bird and spending time finding out more about em and get another when your more ready, no offenc ebut theres nowt worse than a falconer who is frustrated and out his depth it transmits straight through the glove to the bird imho

Hi there

Sorry Scotland is a bit far to travel, but thanks for the offer!

I have a mentor but hes quite busy displaying his birds and moving house at the moment, He does hunt with his Harris but doesnt use a dog or ferrets. The thing is he lives quite far away and I dont have a car at the moment, Will be buying one thiis week hopefully. I have some nice woodland but cant seem to find any rabbits. I understand the importance on entering thats why Im posting. Norfolk is full of massive fields, rather than nice small patches of cover.Frankly Im pissed off. Hopefully I can find someone to ferret with and do it that way. Hes a great bird, really nice temperament. Just don't want to let him down. Im not giving up though so no worries on that.

Many thanks for the reply Arctic

look to team up with a ferreter local mate, let him on your permissions and make the best of what youse got, where there's a will there's a way fella,very best of l;uck too you, another option ids to join a falconry club via the BFC etc its a way of getting out an meeting similar lads whom should want to help you get best out of the bird

hello there rich mate , if don't mind traveling you can come out with me and my lad we fly a cast of 3 birds mate 2 males and a female , we also ferret when we cant slip, your free to tag along with ur bird no problem ,we will show u the ropes im from Doncaster if ur up for it just pm me cheers bri