Dale Rabbits

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well said Mike...

ive allways said rabbits are easer up the dales,,,they don't seem to have that wildness about them,, I once put on here when lamping once,,a slight ground frost come down the days before a lot of rain

a good dog catch any where ill get me coat

Posted Images

There's plenty of lads round our way in lancs , who go to spots in the dales when starting young dogs on the lamp to build their confidence ,as the terrain IN CERTAIN SPOTS favours the dog , and the rabbits Seem less on the ball and less agile . It's not just the dales tho , it's any upland rough pasture were the rabbits don't get hassled as much their bound to be slightly easier IMO .

I think if you generalise ,,,,they are easier up there,,,, but like was said earlier the dales them selfs the landscape can change greatly,,,, sometimes up on the tops where you get long grass and uneven surface,,, the rabbits can be can fodder ,,, but equally some parts the grass can be that short that the advantage is defiantly in the rabbits favour. Then again sometimes in the bottoms by the rivers on flood plains they can fecking fly.

These threads have been done befor,,,and I don't believe that a rabbit from the dales is any slower,,, it's just the ground they often run is rougher , so they can't get to top speed,, or when they do,, they get hindered. In other words its not a new sub species or anything like that,,, or if you took a live rabbit from the dales and put it on arable land down here, it would be just as fast as local rabbits.

• Like 4

The Dales and Moors have huge open spaces, a rabbit usually has a long way to go to reach safety whereas down south the fields are small, lots of hedges/banks where a rabbit can reach safety in a few hops....Simples!...Rabbits up north are easier to catch on the large open spaces!...Been there, seen it, done it, got the T shirt and the pictures! I envy you lads up north with the opportunities you and your young dogs have.

post-69-0-19601200-1378971908_thumb.jpg

Edited by MikeTheDog
  • Like 2

ive allways said rabbits are easer up the dales,,,they don't seem to have that wildness about them,, I once put on here when lamping once,,a slight ground frost come down the days before a lot of rain, the cow prints in the field was starting to crip over, when walking by fack was it loud,, the rabbits still hang about waiting to be run,,this wud not apen any were eles,,,,then you have the walls wich his a bonus,,, But I will run my dog north south east,,,not west never found much in that area,,,and all my dogs I have owned kill big number in all them areas,,,,,,but going back to the dales,, easy or not, you still have to have a dog what can run some nights 70 rabbits, and sometime this has bin 2/3 nights a week,,,with out the dog getting pissed off with the game....

• Like 6

3 things terrain, weather conditions, how often rabbits are ran all go together to make how easy ,hard rabbits are to catch.

Lets face it when you have all 3 in your favour its easy.Untill yours or dogs stamina run out any way.

A few times a year even on farm land when conditions are good ,even rabbits that should have got clean away end up killing there selves running in.

ive allways said rabbits are easer up the dales,,,they don't seem to have that wildness about them,, I once put on here when lamping once,,a slight ground frost come down the days before a lot of rain, the cow prints in the field was starting to crip over, when walking by fack was it loud,, the rabbits still hang about waiting to be run,,this wud not apen any were eles,,,,then you have the walls wich his a bonus,,, But I will run my dog north south east,,,not west never found much in that area,,,and all my dogs I have owned kill big number in all them areas,,,,,,but going back to the dales,, easy or not, you still have to have a dog what can run some nights 70 rabbits, and sometime this has bin 2/3 nights a week,,,with out the dog getting pissed off with the game....

hows it going jim was out last night got 30 wid the bitch and ma pals pup got 4 then fog kicked in ground was well soft you shud cum up for a night till the ground softens down your way I have a few bits I recken we would do well al have a crack with you on sat when I see you [BANNED TEXT] aaron

:clapper:Well said Mike...

Listen up now lads,....we should all be grateful for simply being able to get out there with our lurchers...

I've hunted 'all over'....and in some places, the catching of rabbits has been sheer murder,..both by day,. and by night...

The facts are,..if the running is hard for the quarry,..it is generally,..(not always,.but generally)...favourable for the pursuer. Rough, bumpy old sedge or set aside, is murderous for a mean machine , fast striking jukel.

Without naming an endless list of localities,.I would have to say that in vast, open wild areas, where there is game in abundance, life sure is sweet.... :toast:

As a professional catcher of rabbits , I am always hoping for an easy day/week,.where the workload is easy pickings and the money is forthcoming....I've stood in front of piles of dead critters, little and large,...and whilst I can understand lads wanting to remember a good day or night out,.with good pals, good dogs and good craic,...I am savvy enough to know when things have gone rather well. ;)

As folk have stated, the Yorkshire Dales is a big old place and is extremely diverse in its overall landscape and terrain,...but like most places,..as hunting men we try to work our dogs/ferrets over ground that 'suits us Sir',..we don't go looking for the worst running grounds, and instead,.seek out, fast land,.. that suits our quarry...

That would be fecking dumb... :laugh:

Personaly,.I love going 'oop North',...and once again I'll not mention any names, but its great to be in the company of genuine hunting men who are blissfully aware, of just how lucky they are, and who don't harbour any illogical notions, of their own greatness... :thumbs:

For me,..a trip away is a jolly,..an adventure,..and an opportunity to walk over fabulous places, that if they were situated in the Deep South,..would be hammered to death, and the land turned in a Housing Estate, a shopping centre or worse still a fecking SSI Nature Reserve....

Just walk free lads, and if you can,.keep on walking,..until your boots cry mercy.. :laugh:

All the best, Phil.

YorkshireHawesOctober2009273.jpg

Lol I was sick of catching rabbits that day lol ........

roe023.jpg

• Like 2

Listen up now lads,....we should all be grateful for simply being able to get out there with our lurchers...

I've hunted 'all over'....and in some places, the catching of rabbits has been sheer murder,..both by day,. and by night...

The facts are,..if the running is hard for the quarry,..it is generally,..(not always,.but generally)...favourable for the pursuer. Rough, bumpy old sedge or set aside, is murderous for a mean machine , fast striking jukel.

Without naming an endless list of localities,.I would have to say that in vast, open wild areas, where there is game in abundance, life sure is sweet.... :toast:

As a professional catcher of rabbits , I am always hoping for an easy day/week,.where the workload is easy pickings and the money is forthcoming....I've stood in front of piles of dead critters, little and large,...and whilst I can understand lads wanting to remember a good day or night out,.with good pals, good dogs and good craic,...I am savvy enough to know when things have gone rather well. ;)

As folk have stated, the Yorkshire Dales is a big old place and is extremely diverse in its overall landscape and terrain,...but like most places,..as hunting men we try to work our dogs/ferrets over ground that 'suits us Sir',..we don't go looking for the worst running grounds, and instead,.seek out, fast land,.. that suits our quarry...

Personaly,.I love going 'oop North',...and once again I'll not mention any names, but its great to be in the company of genuine hunting men who are blissfully aware, of just how lucky they are, and who don't harbour any illogical notions, of their own greatness... :thumbs:

For me,..a trip away is a jolly,..an adventure,..and an opportunity to walk over fabulous places, that if they were situated in the Deep South,..would be hammered to death, and the land turned in a Housing Estate, a shopping centre or worse still a fecking SSI Nature Reserve....

Just walk free lads, and if you can,.keep on walking,..until your boots cry mercy.. :laugh:

All the best, Phil.

roe023.jpg

I can remerber you putting that on moochers,, socks,, 2 days catch ...lol Edited by tjones3862

All the best, Phil.

roe023.jpg

I can remerber you putting that on moochers,, socks,, 2 days catch ...lol

ya get them don't ya jim

I started hunting the dales about 15 to 17 years ago and at that time i had a saluki greyhound bull greyhound, local it wouldnt catch a rabbit night after night run after run,

I took it withme on a invite up in the dales and caught 21 with him first night, the land was all

flat and of a simlar stamp to local

Now i hunt on my own permission in the dales and have had the land the last 12 years, the terrain is bad in places but there is some great big flat fields, the rabbits are quicker on the flat and ive seen medioka dogs do very well, been out with the same dogs local and there not worth a light.

This question im sure will come up again and again and there is so many different variables to take into account and im sure everyone will have there own opinion