nuttall terriers

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Orrrr she beautiful and would make a lovely Mam to her babies ??

?

??

Posted Images

Right just for the record ,i don t know p***y or have i a desire to befriend the man but,i know that he keeps decent terriers and MR 1 you misinterpreted his comment about buying,i also know he breeds his own stuff,and they are decent dogs.

p***y just shut the doubters up and show em 1 photo of 1 of your terriers.

The bigger pricks.............The welsh...!!!!

You speak alot of sense mate but you also come across as a right condecending prick at times as well with sterotypical bollocks like that............must be that dual persona you have....... :thumbs:

Sorry I didnt mean the Welsh as in the Welsh people, I meant the Welsh Gamefair when Dessie judged

Right just for the record ,i don t know p***y or have i a desire to befriend the man but,i know that he keeps decent terriers and MR 1 you misinterpreted his comment about buying,i also know he breeds his own stuff,and they are decent dogs.

p***y just shut the doubters up and show em 1 photo of 1 of your terriers.

Hello Pip and p***y, dont need to see your pics, if I misunderstood, I apologise, however, I answered the comments and all comments as best I can, photos mean nothing to me and unfotunatly nowadays can be quite damaging to our cause, nice to see pics of well healed terriers

has anyone got brian nuttalls phone number or could help me contact him. so that i could phone and enquire about a dog if anyone can help please pm me :whistling:

IN THIS WEEKS COUNTYMANS WEEKLY Brain Nuttal as some pups for sale tel 01606833554 hope you get sorted .

kipo

• 3 weeks later...
Guest afromecc@libero.it

hi...i'm simone alessio and hunt in italy with my patterdale terrier at 12 month now have 16month i live in north east of italy (veneto) 30km from venice.

is possible have a photo of gould's patterdale terrier and another question...is possible have one puppy bitch from gould line (working stock).

excuse me for my little english!!!

cheers.

post-11057-1191588610_thumb.jpg

post-11057-1191588832_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
lads keep going on about the size brians dogs the man has been there and done it .and still doing it at nearly 80!give credit where credits due,brian wont keep nothing over13"these days.the breeding is still there and his dogs are still doing the job!

Hello Nelly, Brian will not be pleased you adding a few years on his clock! I have known Brian and I am familiar with his type of terriers for over 25 years, the man has in the past preserved, note the words past, the black type fell/patterdale type terrier more than most. Depending on how far back you can, or wish to trace your pedigree there is bound to have been some in put from Terriers Brian had something to do with.

However, lets look at the other side of the coin, I do not want to slag Brian off as I have known him to long, never dug with him, friends have in the past and all with in the past 10 years. I have seen Nuttal bred" terriers out in the field, more often than not poor workers, however, I have dug to 1 type that was only Nuttal on 1 side, so who do you give credit to?

Brian will not admit, because he was asked the question at his house by a close friend who is well known in the terrier world and knows his terriers, to the size of his terriers changing over the past 20 years or more. Brians words "a terrier over 13" is no good to me, 13" or they have to go",

Bull shit! So if it is 14" it is no good for work, or is it no good for Brians ground! Well if his answer was for his ground, fair enough, however, 1 of Brians famous quotes is he has terriers all over the country working on hunts. Yes as I have commented above Brian has had a massive in put in the balck terrier, but the following reasons is were I have begun to lose respect for Brian and I feel Brian has let him self down. This is not an attack on Brain as I do class Brian as a friend, but these are my opinions, may not be right to some, but they are mine.

Brian is a breeder like Chapman, Middleton, Jonesy etc to name a few, Bians guarantee is "if there not working by 18mths bring it back and I will give you your money back or another pup". Sounds fair enough! Or is it? Well it would be if the shit that was brought back was not bred from! Fact! Breeders talk

Brian has mass produced, like Gould, his terriers, not him he is still a educated man on the knowledge of working terriers, have changed, they are minute and very few have the working qualities of yester year. I have been in the company of lads with terriers directly off Brian and they were usless at finding, they had the title of being bred out of Miner and were called "pure Nuttal". There are terriers around today that are very good working terriers, smooth/wire/rough coated, black and will probably in their ancestory some 20 years ago have Nuttal blood, should Nuttal, like Gould/Middleton (Wilkinsons Rock!) take the credit for todays terriers? No is the simple answer, depending on the pedigree, if the pedigree is traceable, true! and Brian master minded the breeding program, well the answer is a big yes and deservingly so.

There have with in the past 8 years been 2 comments from Brian that made me rethink about the respect I have as a terrier man, or had for Brian. I still talk to him but I will never look at him in the same light as I did whan I wa a lot younger and a novice

I cannot give to much info or the Identity of both persons will be clear and it is me making the comments and not them, they hav no knowledge of my intentions of raising the comments

1st comment from Brian, a person visiting Brian asked if the terriers he was looking at were pups, Brian replied no, there all workers (no marks on them) and told of their age which was the age of what we would call seasoned workers. Oh the visitor replied, sorry didnt mean to offend its just that their so small and have no obvious signs of work (scars, even off brambles!) though they were pups and their not like the old ones you used to breed? Brian replied, yes they are, my terriers have always been this size and a terrier any larger is no good, and here is a very interesting comment for you true working terrier lads " A BIG TERRIER CANNOT GET OUT OF THE WAY OF HIS QUARRY IF THE QUARRY WANTS TO CHARGE AND MOVE! The reply from the visitor was well Brian, I dont want the terrier to move or the quarry push past, I want the terrier to be able to boss his quarry in to staying in the stop until dug to, dont fancy digging fopr hours only for the terier to move.

2nd comment from Brian som 12 years or more, comments were made at a terrier talk night, whaen asked thae question about the duration a terrier could be expected to stay to ground, Brian replied "a terrier is unable to work for more than 3 hours to ground" Levi Oaks sat next to him and in fact turned his head to Brian and a facial expression to me said it all.

3rd comment, Brian was out with a Hunt terrier man who probably does more digging than most people in the country and has done so on a regular basis for the past 15 years. Brian passed comment on the size of the persons terriers and said they are to big. Brian had terriers with him, was aked if he wanted to work them at 3 differnet marks, and refused! Why bring 3 terriers to a hunt, have the offer of some work, and refuse? Was this not the opportunity to show his theory of size in practice, or are the terriers now ornamants used to continue the world wide mass breeding program and prolonging the talk of yester year?

Credit was then later took for the ancestory of the blood in the kennels and named the great great grand parents etc, well contradiction here, the terriers were to big 5 minutes ago, see them work and now its claim the glory!

Ken Gould after his long lay off from breeding terriers when he became an international Parrot breeder, think I am taking the piss! No, all true, ask him. On his come back in to our world, or their world if your in to showing. Ken made a comment to me, have you still got the Black uns, yes I replied, he never asked about their breeding or any changes he straight away told me of a GREAT TERRIER FROM HIS LINES that was at stud.Hello! I am not 16 years of age now

The reason I brought Ken in to the article was again, both men have and still do, talk down to very good terriermen, terrermen with over 25 years of experience, Breeders talk, time to move on, has beens. Both men have had their day at breeding and have produced some very good terriers, after all 30 to 40 years ago they had all that undiluted working blood to chose from, wish the gene pools were around today! A very healthy position to be in.

So yes Brian has been a big influence in working terriers, however, do not take credit from the people who have put their breeding in to continue to produce quality dogs, we are some years now from the Smithy debate and I note is rekindled in the EDRD, was this the only good terrier they had! So,long ago, who is arsed, if I could trace Smithy in my terriers blood does it really matter the dog is a fossil.

Lets move on, strive to improve, test and conserve all working types. I did think hard before putting my comments on the site because of Brians respect from most people, but I find it hard to swallow when people keep talking about has beens, and I dont mean has been in a bad manner. If I bred a terrier 20 years ago and the person has bred down 2 generations since, no in put from me and has got quality working terriers I would not take or expect to take credit, he may mention my name in a figure of speach, however, he made the decisions and he deserves the credit.

I bet this article gets some replies!

Well, well !! would just like to thank M.R 1,Shay and p***y for a truly entertaining half hour reading this post.

its a very refreshing change to read an informative thread by well versed, knowledgeable people about a controversial subject with a lot of people joining in and adding their "tuppence worth".

In my limited semi informed opinion all we need now is a a few more of the genuine people on here to meet, suss each other out, get out and dig a few and then we will have taken a whole leap forward :tongue2:

Pie in the sky i know, but thanks again to all involved.

Can t understand all this sissiness about dead foxes.I don t post photos on this forum ,too open,but its a free country,fair enough nothing wrong with lads that do.Think it would be a bit boring if no one posted pics.

Fuel for the antis?? :laugh: I know,we ll all pretend we don t kill foxes then it ll all be better. :kiss:

WELL I TOO HAVE A SMALL BLACK NUTTAL BREED BITCH WHO ALTHOUGH SHES A BAYER WORKS "EVERYTHING I ASK HER TO" WEEK IN WEEK OUT. SO MUCH THAT SHE WAS MY ONLY DOG THIS SEASON AND TOOK PART IN PLENTY OF WORK GIVING THE PUPS CHANCE TO COME THROUGH. SHE IS IN PUP AT THE MOMMENT TO MY STUPIDLY HARD BLACK AND TAN DOG

hi there i am looking for sum info about nuttall terriers and a few pics if anyone can help cheers :drink:

MATE I HAVE A NUTTAL BITCH IN PUP NOW THEY ARE DUE THE FIRST OF MAY. SHE WORKS EVERYTHING!!!!!! I ASK HER TOO.

THIS IS MY FIRST DAY ON HERE. PHOTO'S CAN BE EMAILED

• 13 years later...