Pup Lost Her Eye

My 13 week old collie x pup had to have her eye removed last Tuesday after an attack from an unsupervised Labrador on one of her very first walks. I was walking her in a secluded area and as a treat for being good on the lead I let her off for a little while before we headed back to the van, while she was having a little run round a Labrador came out of nowhere and right over to me I couldn't see another soul about, the lab was friendly as anything to me and the pup just sat and watched from about 10 yards away as I give the lab a little stroke. Obviously I was quite wary of a strange dog being around the pup, so I was trying to easy my way over to get the lead back on without causing too much excitement but the lab went running over first, after a few seconds of sniffing each other the lab just gave one bite at the pups face and as I started to run the lab ran off, the pup was just lieing on the ground writhing about screaming so I picked her straight up and she started to bleed all over the place it was spraying up into the air i didn't realise the full extent of the damage until I looked to see we're she was bleeding from and seen her eyeball was hanging right down her cheek.

I got her to the van and went straight to the emergency vets, to say I was panicking would be the understatement of the century, I can't remember the drive to the vet and ill never know how I never crashed. They had to operate and take the eyeball out as it was unsavable.

I went back the vets the next day to pick her up and it was like there was nothing wrong with her, completely normall and been running round like a loon since she got home, hasn't bumped into one thing, the vet said as soon as she came round from the operation she had the nurses up the wall.

I'm going to carry on training as normal and I'm not expecting miracles but if she works then ill be happy, and if she doesn't she will still have a great pet home here.

She is my very first own dog and my very first working dog and the anger, guilt, sadness and disappointment I feel is unbelievable that she will never reach her full potential and the many years hunting I had planned for us may never happen, but which ever way it swings I'm happy if she's happy.

It was like she didn't even notice it when she was back home, I was in pieces for a good few days haha, she will make a great companion.

Even the missus showed a little compassion towards her but normality resumed after a couple of days haha.

I haven't had a chance to go back yet, I think sometimes I'm giving myself excuses not to go because if I see the dog with its owner I'm not sure I'd be able to keep it civil.

That's really bad news....

If it makes you feel a little better, my mate has a lurcher with one eye and you wouldn't be able to tell when out working. Try to carry on as like it didn't happen because the pup will adapt and work fine.

Atb with it

I'm going to carry on training as normal, with her still only being so young I'm confident she will overcome it and ill have some degree of success with her.

• Like 1