dogs bodies need certain things to function, protein,fat, certain vitamins and minerals, along with a few other things. dogs can survive and flourish on a lot less food than you think, get yourself to your local hunt kennel and see how and how much they eat and how good they look on it, we have become obsessed with what we feed our dogs. mainly by being brainwashed by manufacturers and experts, if the dog is healthy then to be honest it will perform on any food that meets its basic requirements, dogs evolved to eat meat, if you can feed a synthetic that is comparable but easier to obtain then so be it.

great post

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I cant justify spending £40-60 on a 15kg bag of dog food ,...............plenty of barf with dr john etc etc & veg............ it don't make them run any faster,............the barf does enough f

Top and bottom of it is that there's a massive difference between filling a dog and feeding a dog....any dozy prick can fill a dog....

If its expensive it must be better then.   Nah a load of bollox !!

Posted Images

if you can you want too go too local kennels and ask if they want too sell some meat on the quite, or find out people who work with meat and offer them a few quid ,..........some are sound and some are nobs,.........just be polite ,.it don't hurt to ask..........get a big sack for a fiver,............every so often,...........the only problem you will get is that hunts are ran off there feet and yet some feed just biscuit,............which cost the hunt a few ££££

• 3 months later...

a search before posting, had a read through this thread.. ive been feeding pup wainrights pup complete, whats your thoughts on the stuff? shes geting more meat, but at the moment its still more complete..

seems most people feed dry and meat mixed if sometimes you add more meat how much dry would you leave out seeing that raw meat contains a high percentage of water.100grms of dry 28% protein =how much minced beef/chicken +/- 3grms please :-)

I found this site useful www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Seems all American brands, I have been using Gain, but have been looking at CJS dog feeds, i use the 20% as a mixer,

been hearing good things about CJS, they sent me three samples, and the Pooch loved them, they don't use a lot of expensive advertising, and use agents, so keeps the price down.

Champ Adult protein 20%

That'll do/ hi lost 21%

Complete Tripe 22%

nutritionist said put a small amount of each sample in a bowl and see which one he prefers, but he started at the first, and finished off all three, fancy the tripe, as it has no beet pulp the other two have .

Complete Tripe

Tripe 26% Rice, Maize, Beef meal, Chicken fat, alfalfa, full fat linseed, peas, yeast, salmon oil, salt, mannan oligosaccharides glucosamine, milk thistle, seaweed, yucca, blackcurrant, ,green lipped mussel, kale, beetroot and rosemary, plus all the usual vitamins.

I will use this as a mixer.

There is salt in lean fresh beef..

All animals need salt including us.. so any animas we eat contain salts - sodium.

Yeast is B vitamins , Zinc , protein & amino acids . Aids immune system and skin & coat..

Its good shit :thumbs:

Maize gets mixed reviews but as a small proportion of a balanced diet, I would not mind it going in the dogs bowl.

Beef meal is just what's scrapped off the floor, hooves the whole lot.. rendered down its not going to have a detrimental effect its just not choice cuts of meat..

Even the purists of Raw feeders give a mix of bone, flesh , pig trotters, ox tails , white meat, red meat.. So what they make the beef meal with they would feed it anyway..

I have looked at that scran a few times Joe..

I could get that food easier than gain.. Its more expensive tho..

I would like to hear how you get on with it mate ..

I though about using the 30 odd % a few handfuls in with meat and bread or rice .. Its got a really high fat content as well.

It used to get a cheap mixer bag of complete dog food ,set up the Hobart and put a handful of dry grub a bit of chicken in it and any veg ,brown bread. I could lay my hands on and mince the lot mix it up well and put it in plastic kilo containers and freeze them .never knew the protein content but the dogs did well on it

I found this site useful www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Seems all American brands, I have been using Gain, but have been looking at CJS dog feeds, i use the 20% as a mixer,

been hearing good things about CJS, they sent me three samples, and the Pooch loved them, they don't use a lot of expensive advertising, and use agents, so keeps the price down.

Thats because It is an American site but there are loads of UK brands on there CSJ being one of them

You have to use the search bar to find what food your looking for

After reading what's in CSJ on this site I wouldn't feed it the the pigeons

On slab square