Springer Retrieving Help

dog probably thinks your going to take her "prize" away I would go back to basics and throw dummy for her and keep a ball in your hand & as she starts to come toward you go down to her level and drop ball near you -she might realise that your not a threat but an enjoyable experience its the bond thing that is missing the dog should never feel threatened by you in any way- im sure other lads will have there views on your problem tho

Common problem when not following the pattern.

If you go back through this forum there will be hundreds of posts about people with dogs that do certain issues and 90% all go back to the same problem and the words master one section before moving on to the next. You could have 2 issues one the dog knows you will take the prize away, or he wants you to go to him so its a bit of a game. If you have done all the training and went on to live game a bit early dummies maybe a problem now, if she will use dummies then go back a few stages to start with throw the dummy and send her, as she comes back use the recall whistle and when she is about 15 ft away walk backwards and keep using the whistle, then when she is at your feet make a fuss but don't take the dummy make a fuss walk a few steps letting her carry it, then take it make a fuss when she gives it, give it back to her and walk on keep doing that. The retrieve is a reward and treat it as such.

That should work but if it doesn't let me know there is something else you can try at a last resort

Phill

Thanks phil il defo give it ago i work all day how often should i do this for? will it take a week or more im kind of stuck here if that makes sense

Sean

You will only get out what you put in, don't over do it and don't throw too many times, also remember every time you throw out of 10 throws you must go 3 times and collect the retrieve its teaching your dog it's not her right to retrieve you only retrieve when I tell you.

Usual rule is 10 min max twice daily, no more and vary it, the important thing is to remember get each bit right before you move on. And always finish on a positive bit

• Like 1

My slant on this problem as a spaniel is an optimist when the dog gives me a retrieve to hand I often hand it back with plenty of praise making it more like play than training and I think this builds a bit of trust and as others say go back to basics and maybe you could add this to your training .

• Like 1

Turn your back on the dog when she comes into you, and let her have the dummy at all times in training playing with her is the key.

Put a pigeon in a sock and let her play with it throwing it Three feet here, and Eight feet there etc on your knees calling her to you.

Keep calling with a high pitch voice.

• Like 1

Guys be clear that when you use a dummy as "play" ie you throw it near and encourage the retrieve its fine with a puppy but as the dog matures the play must stop, dogs will learn that if they bring it back and drop it 2 ft from you, you then kick it or throw a short distance and wait for the retrieve to hand and praise and stop that exercise. The dog will learn if I take it back I get praise, if I drop it I get play and play is more fun.

There is a thin line between play and training, and pup and mature dog. Getting that bit right is a hard call but the right one to be a little harder, This is probably more so with the intelligent working breeds

• Like 1