Changes To French Gun Laws

Ello ello! First off would like to introduce my incredible self! :D

I have just bought a small farm and am currently renovating it (work easy, paperwork nightmare) half hour north of Limoges in department 87. i have 3 acres and we (my self 31, my partner 24, and our baby Daughter 7 months) are going down the "Good Life" route of self sufficiency (well mostly, no point in denying ourselves of life's little luxuries like internet and chocolate!).

Anyway, i'm a hunter born, but have never had the money, land, or time to really get my teeth into "proper" hunting in the UK (another reason we're moving), had air rifles all my life, and just swapped a pcp for a hw95k luxes .22 (shooting at 11.6ftlb) with a 3-9x40 scope, night vision set up added etc (i love my toys) for pest control work on the farm (in the hamlet we are in we are the only full time residents as all the rest are holiday homes) so no worry about being reported for blatting the odd rat here and there.

Having spent ages searching the web (does anyone still call it that?) ive really struggled to find any real info that's consistent about french hunting law (my french is non existent as yet, will be getting lessons once moved and have time and the mrs is pretty good (A Level) so until i found this post i was a little lost, after reading all of Coypu Hunter's comments I'm much happier about my hunting future :) though i do have a couple of questions left to ask.

1) when you say "hunting rifle" what calibre are we talking? enough to take deer as i have a very healthy head of Roe deer in my woods.

2) any idea on the hunting season of deer in dept. 87?

3) are there any limitations on the amount of ammo that can be kept?

4) what are the specific requirements as to how guns should be kept? (id like to hand my guns on the wall with trigger locks, ammo to be kept separately in a locked safe).

5) just how common are the Coypu/beaver/any other large pest species in central France? is the meat good to eat or just an oversized rat? and are the pelts useful?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply to these posts Coypu Hunter, you are a light house in an otherwise pitch dark sea :)

Only just seen this post, for some reason -- my apologies for not replying sooner, unless I have, and the Alzheimer's is kicking in... :cray:

To answer your questions:

1. Any calibre except "military" (i.e. .223/5.56mm). If you want a .223, get a .222 instead! :thumbs: The main restrictions are on mag capacity -- you can buy a bolt-action rifle or pump-action shotgun with any capacity magazine, but semi-autos are limited to three-shot capacity (rifles and shotguns).

2. No. Each department, district and commune sets its own seasons for specific quarry. You'd need to check with your local chasse/Mairie.

3. No limit on .22 or shotguns. 1000 factory rounds per year on handgun calibres (so you reload). No limit on hunting calibres in my department, although you should check with your local Préfecture/chasse.

4. Firearms when transported must be "not immediately usable", i.e. unloaded, with a trigger lock in place, ammo held separately. At home, it will depend on your local Préfecture as to whether you need a gun safe or not. You can ask at the local cop shop. Handguns must be kept in a pistol safe.

5. France is overrun with coypus and muskrats. Your local préfecture will have a list of other pest species -- "nuisibles" -- ask at the Mairie or your local chasse. Typically, crow species are regarded as pests, as well as badgers, foxes etc. Bunnies, hares, deer, etc. may well have seasons in your local area. Again, ask your local chasse or Mairie.

Hope this helps (belatedly). ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anyone travels to or holidays in France regularly, this may be of interest.   The laws in France just changed, with effect from 6 September 2013. Prior to that, you could only buy an air rifle of

Illegal, mate. I use a .22 rimfire, and have done ever since I learned that pest control with air rifles is illegal in France.   Good excuse for getting a Rimmie, as I explained to Her Indoors!

15 ft/lb would be just sweet for hunting. Especially in .177. It's just about perfect.

Thanks for all the tips Coypu Hunter. Do you have any experience of taking guns over on holiday on an EFP? Is anything other than getting one from the local team in the UK required (eg with French prefecture)? Also is it possible to purchase shotgun cartridges using UK SGC and EFP or do you need a French permit? Sorry for all the questions - we've got a holiday home in Limousin and would like to think out the vermin in the garden/ jungle! :-D

Another missed message... :cray:

With the European Firearms Passport you can transport your firearm to any EU country, and buy accessories or ammo for it in that country (or bring your favourite ammo with you -- some brands like Eley are difficult to find over here).

You would need to inform the ferry company/airline in advance that you wish to transport a firearm, and get their permission to do so, and details of any specific conditions (trigger lock, bolt taken out of a rifle, or whatever).

You might want to inform the local gendarmerie that you have the firearm with you, and show them your EFP and passport, to avoid any awkward questions if someone takes a dislike to you shooting (always possible).

• Like 1

Another question : I have read somewhere (more than once, though) that .22 rimfire hunting used to be allowed in France "in days of yore" and/or still is (?) in some French départements - any information on that ?

Yes, I believe it was allowed at some point.

.22s became declarable in 1994, I think it was, at which time I believe the regs were tightened up. Before then, anyone over 18 could wander into a gunshop and buy a .22

They are still used for pest control, but not for open-country hunting. The regulations do differ from department to department, though, so if you plan to shoot in France, a quick call to the local Mairie, chasse, cop shop or Préfecture should provide the answer.

Excellent information coypu hunter, I am currently researching French laws as looking at a property in Brittany.

Whereabouts in Brittany?

I have several options we are looking at, but the favourite one so far is near huelgoat, I am looking to the north for my sea fishing and ease of travelling, but early stages so would actually consider other options.

• Like 1

Excellent information coypu hunter, I am currently researching French laws as looking at a property in Brittany.

Whereabouts in Brittany?

I have several options we are looking at, but the favourite one so far is near huelgoat, I am looking to the north for my sea fishing and ease of travelling, but early stages so would actually consider other options.

Nice area, but a bit far west, unless you're planning to travel from Brest. We're closer to St Malo, which is handy for trips back to southern UK.

• Like 1

Whereabouts in Brittany?

Nice area, but a bit far west, unless you're planning to travel from Brest. We're closer to St Malo, which is handy for trips back to southern UK.

The st malo area was my original first choice, as you say travelling back and forth it is ideal, however the right property (and price) was not available when I found the one I am looking at now, Brest seems the favourite option as its only just a little further west, but extends travel time considerably.

• Like 1

Whereabouts in Brittany?

The st malo area was my original first choice, as you say travelling back and forth it is ideal, however the right property (and price) was not available when I found the one I am looking at now, Brest seems the favourite option as its only just a little further west, but extends travel time considerably.

If you move a little away from the coast, the prices drop like a brick, and there are no tourists in the summer. There's a nice ruined stone hovel at the corner of our lane that might suit your needs... :hmm::laugh:

Edited by Coypu Hunter
  • Like 1

Whereabouts in Brittany?

We're about 40km south of St Malo, and 40km north of Rennes. If you move a little away from the coast, the prices drop like a brick, and there are no tourists in the summer. There's a nice ruined stone hovel at the corner of our lane that might suit your needs... :hmm::laugh:

Yes, I purposely avoided anything right on the coast, tourist traps, but I would like to be less than an hour from it at very most, the place I am looking at is not run down but does require full renovation (suits me been a builder by trade) and is a stupid price. Not sure i would want totally derelict, walls and a roof is quite nice to start with.

I can't get over how much better the gun laws are than the uk, seems very easy in comparison, almost too easy, makes me wonder what the catch is, not speaking any French seems to be my first hurdle.

• Like 2
Yes, I purposely avoided anything right on the coast, tourist traps, but I would like to be less than an hour from it at very most, the place I am looking at is not run down but does require full renovation (suits me been a builder by trade) and is a stupid price. Not sure i would want totally derelict, walls and a roof is quite nice to start with.

I can't get over how much better the gun laws are than the uk, seems very easy in comparison, almost too easy, makes me wonder what the catch is, not speaking any French seems to be my first hurdle.

No catch, so long as you can show a French address and some ID. Most of France is rural, and pretty much all farmers and many other rural people shoot. Some even have gun licences! :yes:

• Like 1

No catch, so long as you can show a French address and some ID. Most of France is rural, and pretty much all farmers and many other rural people shoot. Some even have gun licences! :yes:

Some even have gun licences.....that cracked me up, bit like days of old here, from research, seems the best way forward is when I have an address is to join a gun club, and I would need to do the test at some point as I would not be happy shooting targets for the rest of my days !

I am starting to piece everything together now, the lack of game (rabbits and hares) and the easy to get licence, along with nearly everyone owning a gun......... At least the coypu look interesting, might have to dig me a lake to encourage some more in ! Quite interesting to read the roe population is on the up, and classed as pests !

• Like 2

Yup, join a gun club and you'll have a licence within a couple of weeks, and can then buy a shotgun, hunting rifle, .22 or whatever. If you want to hunt outside your property, you'll need a permis de chasse however, which requires a written exam and a practical gun handling session to check your safety awareness. Talk to your local Chasse organisation about that -- it's not too hard so long as you have a reasonable level of French.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Coypu Hunter,

Thank you for posting this information which I found during a google search.

I think I understand the information you have provided but just want to make sure that I've not missed anything.

We are looking to move to Brittany from the UK in the next few months. I currently only hunt using a sub 12ft lb PCP, rabbits and wood pigeons mainly as I feed my dogs on a raw diet and it helps with the bills! I'm pleased with the change in French law as it means I can at least keep my air rifle and still use it for targets etc

The house we are buying belongs to the local farmer, who I know, and is surrounded by his land. In fact, most of the surrounding fields for miles in all directions are owned by him. To clarify, once we have moved into the house I can join a local shooting club and then buy a .22 rimfire, register it with the local Police and then use it for pest control on my own land and any land where I have written permission. Is this correct?

If the farmer then gives me permission to shoot on his land I can shoot pests, including rabbits providing they are within the permitted season for the area? I will not need a hunting licence for any of this?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1