Changes To French Gun Laws

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If anyone travels to or holidays in France regularly, this may be of interest.   The laws in France just changed, with effect from 6 September 2013. Prior to that, you could only buy an air rifle of

Illegal, mate. I use a .22 rimfire, and have done ever since I learned that pest control with air rifles is illegal in France.   Good excuse for getting a Rimmie, as I explained to Her Indoors!

15 ft/lb would be just sweet for hunting. Especially in .177. It's just about perfect.

Don't forget the silencers and optics... oops... :icon_redface:

Acquaintance of mine had rifles confiscated, got a receipt for them. Unfortunately, the receipt didn't list all the expensive glass sitting on the rifles, so when he got the rifles back, all they had were iron sights... :icon_eek:

• Like 1

Another question: We have had a few chickens taken by a fox. We can't hunt the fox without a PdC, but according to my ONCFS officer I can trap the fox, then shoot the fox in the trap with an air rifle. However, reading the above it sounds like shooting it, even in a trap, is not allowed. Has anyone any knowledge of this? I only have a telephone conversation about this with the ONCFS officer, nothing in writing, but he explained that, if I try to release the fox away from my property (my first thought), it will likely die due to territorial fighting with other foxes, and in any case the neighbours where I release it won't be best pleased.

Edited by Hump101

Another question: We have had a few chickens taken by a fox. We can't hunt the fox without a PdC, but according to my ONCFS officer I can trap the fox, then shoot the fox in the trap with an air rifle. However, reading the above it sounds like shooting it, even in a trap, is not allowed. Has anyone any knowledge of this? I only have a telephone conversation about this with the ONCFS officer, nothing in writing, but he explained that, if I try to release the fox away from my property (my first thought), it will likely die due to territorial fighting with other foxes, and in any case the neighbours where I release it won't be best pleased.

If you cant shoot it, then contact the chasse and ask for one of them to pts. An old pest controller recommended the air-rifle to me in the trap scenario, works.

in my opinion a sub 12ftlbs air rifle isn't up to the job, even point blank it could wound it and cause unnecessary suffering. a .22 rifle is much better. but would it be breaking the law if it had a moderator on it???? I still haven't heard a thing of the French police....

Hi

With a PDC-

How far from a occupied building can one fire a shotgun please? If say 150 metres presumably not over or facing private land.

Back to Ragondins. Huntable all year round or a close season?

Trap all year round or not?

Trap on private land without a pdc?

Finally with a pdc and a pcp over 20 j ok or not to hunt?

Without. a Pdc if a Ragondin is killed by a dog ?? Am I responsible for my dog on my own land killiing a trespassing

Ragondin?

Hi pig222man

http://adpan58.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Guide-pigeur-nivernais.pdf

Clearly says that killing a trapped ragandin is legal with a 9mm shotgun or .22 rimfire. The killing is not an act of chasse but of pigeur despatch by trapping of a nuisance species.

If one of the above weapons is not used ie 9mm shotgun or .22 rimfire then ANY HUMANE MEANS MAY BE USED.

Imo if the case is brought under Chasse laws it will fall apart.

Get yourself a lawyer. Think a letter from a lawyer would make them drop the action.

The Federation de chasse is a separate body and is nothing to do with them.

Just check your dept rules .

So the interfering chasse garde or garde de peche and the blue meanies can do the other,

The fine if you admit guilt will probably be around 1,000 euro anyway. Spend the money on defence.

It will not be sufficient for the prosecution to say they saw dead Ragandin in a cage or close by and assume they were chassed. What did the lady who told someone you shot 2 Ragandin actually say and to whom?. Start getting your evidence.

Keep us informed please

Hi

With a PDC-

How far from a occupied building can one fire a shotgun please? If say 150 metres presumably not over or facing private land.

Back to Ragondins. Huntable all year round or a close season?

Trap all year round or not?

Trap on private land without a pdc?

Finally with a pdc and a pcp over 20 j ok or not to hunt?

Without. a Pdc if a Ragondin is killed by a dog ?? Am I responsible for my dog on my own land killiing a trespassing

Ragondin?

My ONCFS also says that if you trap a fox or coypu, "any humane means" may be used to despatch it. Some locals chuck the whole cage in the water to drown 'em -- not very humane, in my book. Others use a club, which often isn't instant, so not humane in my book. I use a 15 fpe PCP, which only takes one shot.

In Brittany, there is no closed season for some pests like coypu, but a closed season for e.g. corvids and rabbits. Check your local préfecture's website and search for "nuisibles", you should find a local arrêté that lists which species are classed as pests, and when they can be shot.

Hunting with any air rifle is not permitted, by the way, unless you're shooting rats.

Well, according to the ONCFS, it is perfectly OK to use a .22LR on anything without hooves, unless there's a ban in your local department. As follows:

La carabine 22 LR a réarmement manuel et à percussion annulaire est une arme à canon rayé classée en catégorie C, soumise à déclaration. Son acquisition et sa détention sont autorisées au chasseur. Mais son utilisation est interdite pour le tir du grand gibier, puisque selon l’article 3 de l’arrêté du 1er août 1986, relatif à divers procédés de chasse, de destruction des animaux nuisibles et à la reprise du gibier vivant dans un but de repeuplement, « Est interdit l’emploi pour le tir des ongulés de toute arme à percussion annulaire ainsi que celui d’armes rayées à percussion centrale d’un calibre inférieur à 5,6 mm ou dont le projectile ne développe pas une énergie minimale à 1 kilojoule à 100 mètres ». Elle est utilisable pour les autres espèces de gibier, à la chasse comme pour la destruction (ex : renard, ragondin....).

La carabine 22 LR à réarmement semi-automatique, dotée d’un chargeur amovible impossible à réduire à 3 coups est une arme à canon rayé classée en catégorie B (avant 4ème catégorie). Son acquisition et sa détention ne sont pas autorisées pour les chasseurs, sauf pour les détenteurs d’une autorisation viagère (article 116 du décret du 6 mai 1995), cependant elle devient interdite à la chasse.
Dans de nombreux départements, des arrêtés préfectoraux en réglementent l’usage ou l’interdisent. Il faut donc consulter l’arrêté préfectoral relatif à la sécurité publique auprès de la préfecture. Si l’arrêté préfectoral ne prévoit pas de restriction quant à l’utilisation d’une carabine 22 long rifle, il est possible alors de l’utiliser dans les conditions exposées ci-dessus.

Edited by Coypu Hunter