• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ditch_Shitter

The 'Observers' books! :clapper: God; Brain damage for a generation, eh? Now, imagine if COLLINS did one of their incredible new Field Guides on Eggs, like their Birds one? What a f*cking Book THAT would be! :notworthy:

Tote; I have, right here beside me, an old book I've had knocking around the place for some years now: " Finding Nests ", by Bruce Campbell. To be brutally honest, I've barely ever found time to read much of it yet. Much less get out there and follow what ever his instructions are.

I got hold of it with the idea of helping out with the BTO Nest Recording Scheme. Now I'm out of uk, they probably wouldn't want my records, so it's a moot point anyway. But I can't help thinking; Just how the hell do guys like you and JD even find these damn nests?!

Obviously, I wouldn't expect or even appreciate any sort of 'detailed' answer to that on a public forum. Not everyones intentions may be as innocent as others :no: But, basicly; Have ye read / recieved occult instruction as to some given methods? Or do ye simply behave like hunting mustalids and pry into every available square inch of the planet?

When I was a kiddie and ..... ye know; Did what kids were want to do in those days :whistling: my mate and I's method was to peer into trees and bushes, looking for nests. But there was this other guy, Roy Plomer (?) who's dad or grand dad had built up a huge Collection. Maybe they'd taught Roy? We sneakily followed Roy and his merry band for a bit one time. It quickly became obvious that he had an eye for the choicest locations and appeared to just swarm up any likely looking tree and, I guess, just see if he came upon a nest up there.

What ever. I gave up robbing nests before I was even fifteen. Nowadays of course, with the digital cameras we all have so freely available, destroying wildlife just for trophys is, to me, the sign of a stunted and damaged ego. But hell, do I still admire you blokes who come up with such images! Thanks, again, for sharing :good:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:hmm: Everything about that one cries out " Lapwing! " ..... Except those eggs just don't look quite as I remember the ones I've seen. Are they Lapwing? Or something more exotic I simply wouldn't have a clue about?

Quite honestly; Lapwings are the only waders eggs I've personally seen :icon_redface:

Guest Ditch_Shitter
Ditch-Most of the nests ive found have been through sitting still and watching where parent birds are flitting to but this does tend to reveal chicks as opposed to eggs .

Yeppers. What I did was simply find the brooding bird, through glass, then ~ and this is the easy bit! :laugh: ~ figure out where in f*ck ye'd been looking at once ye approach and she sods off well in advance of ye!

A mate and I got it cracked in the end. It really does take two! One would train the bin's on the sitting bird while the other walked towards her. Off she'd go. Then it was a matter of not losing the mark through the glass as ye mate wandered far and wide in his effort to actually come - from memory and keeping His eye on 'where she got up from' (So he'd think!) - to the spot.

I always found it quite sobering, how completely wide of the mark the human eye led one. My mate would start scanning the ground twenty five feet short of the scrape, convinced that he'd 'Locked On' to about 'Here'. I did the same, of course. It takes some getting used to, having the Man tell ye, " No! Miles further back! " when ye utterly convinced ye might tread on the eggs any foot step now! :icon_redface:

As ye'll have heard; The 'old fashioned' way was just to poke a walking stick in the ground and walk round it in ever increasing circles till ye reckoned ye were faultering in ye coverage, then reposition it and start over again! Sod That! I'd sooner pop down to Spar! :D

Honestly haven't a clue what those eggs are though. Unless they're Greenshank? I'm working on vague synaptic sparks echoing from a life time ago here :(

during the nesting season birds generaly give their nest site away one way or another.

youll be amazed what you can find if you take time out to sit and observe whats going on. watching them back or just start building is a good way to locate them.

ofcourse youll find the odd nest just by luck, or because its in a paticular place[hole in tree/bird box etc.] but youll find plenty more if you find the bird first. knowing calls and songs will obviously help, as will knowing the time of which month certain birds nest.

post-23-1188764520_thumb.jpg

post-23-1188764585_thumb.jpg

post-23-1188764602_thumb.jpg

post-23-1188764632_thumb.jpg