Salting And Tanning.

hi i have recently shot a few rabbits and feel that the skin is wasted. i would like to get the skin to a point where i could ask someone to make some gloves or pellet holder etc, anything really just so its been used instead of thrown away.

ive seen salting and tanning on youtube and was wondering which one would be best for what im thinking of doing.

thanks in advance wayne.

I use aluminium potassium sulphate ,mixed with water in a bucket, place four or five skins in it stir min twice a day for seven days

after that scrap of the fat and meat that's left with a tanning scrapper ,if it does not come away easily then soak for a couple more days

once all the fat is removed rinse with clean water a few times (you could use the washing machine when the wife's out ) ,when the pelt is damp stretch it carefully as not to rip it if its difficult to stretch because it to dry than get a small water sprayer and re damp ,after you spent a good few hours stretching and the pelt is supple let it dry ,after its dry I rub mink oil into it keeps it soft and smells nice

hope this helps

I think I'm right in saying that just treating with Aluminium Potassium Sulphate (Alum) will not tan the hides, just cure them. If they are expected to be exposed to the elements in any way without further treatment they will deteriorate. I guess that's why they are then treated with oil? Does this treatment have to be kept up and does it not give a greasy feel to the skin?

If clothing is the end product, then surely a proper tanning agent should be used to produce leather or more simply follow the buckskin process?

Something I will be having a fair crack at this year. :thumbs:

mink oil will not make them greasy it keeps the soft ,some of my skins are well over 12 months old with no problem ,they have not been over exposed to weather ,

any leather will need looking after , as long as you scrape well and stretch enough ,all I can say is try it see how you get on I will gladly send you one to see

what you get, test it, wet it, pull it ,I have a friend who trains his greyhound with my skins ,

its interesting I hope to tan a fox hide this year when I get the chance to skin one :hmm: