So been making cider for a few years now...but this years apples are the best I have seen!

Got so much cider not sure what to do with it so have added last years sloes into one batch, and blackberries into another, think it is going to be a good batch this year.

Hows everyone elses cider coming on?

JoeD

Not yet but going to do ours in a couple of months time . My mates had a bit of trouble with his this year with it turning black after you pour it (oxidising)? he blames my scratter which is a converted garden shredder so he has bought a stainless steel proper job . I honestly think hes wasted his money as mine is fine same shredder different fruit . If anyone fancies a press for next year pm me as im going to sell my current press after this year as im in a good position to make one every year . Going to see if my lad will upload a video to you tube to see it going .

• 3 weeks later...

I'm negotiating some free apples this week, so hope to start the first batch next week. This picture sums up my cider making. On the cheap. A garden shredder mashes the fruit and a home made wooden frame with a car jack is the press.

cbjzCj8.jpg

As you can see, this is my full production line. My wife chopping the apples to go in the shredder and me on the press. I do around 80 pints a year, which gets me round to the following year. If you want to know more check out. http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/cider-bottled/

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm making an alcoholic Apple drink i hear its not cider if it aint pressed so ive foraged some crab apples mulched ek up threw in some water and yeast let that mes do its stuff for ten days pour through a muslin then squash the pulp to get remaining juice out add sugar and bottle in a week or so. Question is I got some blackberries while out when would i add them on my next batch???

• 2 weeks later...