A Mixed Day

The last few weeks have been taken up with getting the dogs back up to speed bushing,ferreting,ratting and general pest control on the farms rented to tenants by a couple of estates I control,the cover is still up so I am limited to the type of work I can do,well,last wednesday started off very good with a few rabbits flushed out of the rough bits left after the crops have come down,normally I would lamp the field the night it comes down but I never got a call from this particular farmer,so this was my only option with some very big fields to cover,

The day had started very cloudy but soon became very hot and with the terriers moving plenty about the lurcher was kept busy to the point of overheating,so,we headed for the nearest pond,as we came up to the pond the terriers flushed 3 more rabbits but the lurcher was "all in" and too knackered and hot to run after them.It would of been pointless to carry on in the midday heat of the sun so I headed for the woods to check on the pheasant poults,earths and run a few bunnies in the cool shade of the wood.

pheasant poults soon learn to get up when danger is around.

I only added 1 or 2 more bunnies before getting back to the farmyard,I then had an hour killing the stray pigeons that congregate around the barns on this farm with my air-rifle,I called it a day and headed towards home about 3-30pm,on the way back I bumped into an old boy named "Jack Evans" who was camping for the night at the side of the road,he was heading for the "Malpas Steam Rally" which is on this Sunday,we won't see the likes of these old boys once they've passed on,at one time he would of been with my 2 old mates Bill Corn and Pete Smith and their "bowtops" or "Vardo's",instead,he was alone,I stopped to have a yarn and a cup of tea for an hour before leaving him a rabbit to stew,these old boys used to leave Cheshire on May 1st every year to get to APPLEBY Fair in time,what a way to travel,my only regret is not going with Bill when he offered 20 odd years back.WM

• Like 12