Are Chicken Carcasses Safe

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Raw and boiled they are fine cooked in the oven is a no no .......

KFC isn't oven cooked its deep fried ... Its the baking process in the oven that changes the make up,of the bone and makes it splinter ......

I personally xray'd a dog that had eaten cooked turkey carcass. You really can't imagine the mess it made - the dog died, painfully.   Strange vet.

Posted Images

I feed them any carcasses or bones no matter how they're cooked.

It's an old wives tale IMO,a vet told me to his knowledge there has never been a reported case of a splintered bone killing a dog,but it would be best not to just in case.

All those tens of thousands of years when dogs would have scavanged what our ancestors didnt eat,I think cooked bones would have featured quite highly in their diet.

Aye neems, all those years ago they didn't have electric ovens either lol

I've never fed an oven cooked chicken bone neither would I chance it, chances are if somebody's cooking a chicken in the oven it ain't for the dogs so what's the point in risking it for a couple of wee thin chicken bones I do and will leave it out.

It's an old wives tale IMO,a vet told me to his knowledge there has never been a reported case of a splintered bone killing a dog,but it would be best not to just in case.

All those tens of thousands of years when dogs would have scavanged what our ancestors didnt eat,I think cooked bones would have featured quite highly in their diet.

There was someone on here lost a sapling,last year I think :hmm: fed raw chicken wings and the youngster cut its bowel or intestine and died :yes: someone else might remember the specifics :thumbs:

I personally xray'd a dog that had eaten cooked turkey carcass. You really can't imagine the mess it made - the dog died, painfully.

Strange vet.

• Like 2

I personally xray'd a dog that had eaten cooked turkey carcass. You really can't imagine the mess it made - the dog died, painfully.

Strange vet.

well I wont be feeding mine a cooked carcass again that's fir sure

Strange vet.

It may have been chicken bones he said,was a long time ago.

What type of dog was it you x-ray'd?

Strange vet.

She was a piggish little Westie called Maggie, who regularly over ate ... she'd been in over Christmas the year before after eating a whole lot of chocolate :laugh: To be fair she was not fed a varied, raw/bones-inclusive diet. Bearing in mind this was (cough cough) some years ago :laugh: But what I saw on that xray stayed with me so I just never feed cooked bones. Each to their own I gather, but I'd rather not risk it for myself.

Strange vet.

She was a piggish little Westie called Maggie, who regularly over ate ... she'd been in over Christmas the year before after eating a whole lot of chocolate :laugh: To be fair she was not fed a varied, raw/bones-inclusive diet. Bearing in mind this was (cough cough) some years ago :laugh: But what I saw on that xray stayed with me so I just never feed cooked bones. Each to their own I gather, but I'd rather not risk it for myself.

Could of been my mums dog if it wasn't for the way it died.

Fat little westy called Margaret lol

She was in the vets over Xmas about 11 years ago because she ate 2 Terry's chocolate oranges.

That little shit must of cost thousands in vets bills over its life time.

• Like 1

Fed chicken carcass and wings for 20 years but yesterday I fed round with wings and went out this morning to find a young terrier dead. He had a wing lodged in his throat. He was a greedy dog and would bolt his food to stop his kennel mate getting any. Gutted to say the least. He was a very good prospect for this season with the bits he had done up to now. My advise is make it small enough to swallow or large enough for em to chew. Rip Bertie!!!

Fed chicken carcass and wings for 20 years but yesterday I fed round with wings and went out this morning to find a young terrier dead. He had a wing lodged in his throat. He was a greedy dog and would bolt his food to stop his kennel mate getting any. Gutted to say the least. He was a very good prospect for this season with the bits he had done up to now. My advise is make it small enough to swallow or large enough for em to chew. Rip Bertie!!!

sorry to hear that not a good start to the day I can imagine, take it easy bud..

I'm boiling up a dozen rabbits just now and will remove the all meat from the bone and bin the bones. I personally wouldn't give my dogs any small bones at all as to me it's just not worth the risk. It seems most people do feed carcasses with bone without any problems but it only takes 1 instance and the dogs dead or it's a hefty vet bill. Not worth the risk for me. Just my opinion ;-)