Just How Much Protein Does A Puppy Require?

is it all down to feeding though,

a fast and clever dog will be fast no matter what you feed him

a slow and thick dog will be just that,

That's exactly my mates attitude. And that's fine.

But for me it's about more than just the night on the lamp what about the next morning when a dog fed on cheap dry is still stiff and the dog that had chicken mince, tripe, pasta, veg etc is bouncing out of the kennel?

And can you honestly show me a dog fed on cheap dry that looks "well". In real good nick with muscles in the shoulders and back legs? Nice shiny coat?

I honestly think you can see by looking at a dog that it's fed well.

I aren't knocking all dry food by the way. I'm knocking the cheap £6-£8 supermarket shit.

• Like 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't believe what the manufacturers tell you, that puppies need 30% protein. It is all a sales pitch to get you to buy their food and feel guilty that you may be depriving your precious pup of someth

The thing is you are what you eat, and while a young person, or a young dog, can survive and work on a crap diet, later on it comes back to bite you in the butt in a big way. Some people don't care if

2.5lbs of flesh a day...made up from either or a mix of chicken/beef/lamb/offal/tripe/horse - salmon/tuna/mackerel/sardines - fleshy bones/ribs/necks...pasta/veg and a bit of added fat....and a bit of

Posted Images

2.5lbs of flesh a day...made up from either or a mix of chicken/beef/lamb/offal/tripe/horse - salmon/tuna/mackerel/sardines - fleshy bones/ribs/necks...pasta/veg and a bit of added fat....and a bit of good quality complete - yoghurt for breakfast with some fruit...banana/apple/orange with some honey and a handful of oats added.....

You ain't gonna get results like this feeding a complete...that's a fact.... :thumbs:

post-57287-0-84624400-1380961750.jpg

• Like 4

The thing is you are what you eat, and while a young person, or a young dog, can survive and work on a crap diet, later on it comes back to bite you in the butt in a big way. Some people don't care if the dog is healthy on the inside, they can't think more than two weeks ahead in their own lives, let alone in their dogs' lives. So they fail to see how a decent diet can actually prolong the working life of a dog by keeping its body in optimum condition.

More and more people lead unhealthy lives themselves, so what chance have their dogs got!

• Like 4

2.5lbs of flesh a day...made up from either or a mix of chicken/beef/lamb/offal/tripe/horse - salmon/tuna/mackerel/sardines - fleshy bones/ribs/necks...pasta/veg and a bit of added fat....and a bit of good quality complete - yoghurt for breakfast with some fruit...banana/apple/orange with some honey and a handful of oats added.....

You ain't gonna get results like this feeding a complete...that's a fact.... :thumbs:

bu ster.jpg

That's what I'm talking about :thumbs:

Show me a dog in that condition fed on any complete. Let alone a poor quality complete. I would happily eat humble pie if someone did.

My bitch is nothing like the condition of that dog but even so, I can't get her looking this good without feeding a good diet...

null_zps22d57829.jpg

is it all down to feeding though,

a fast and clever dog will be fast no matter what you feed him

a slow and thick dog will be just that,

That's exactly my mates attitude. And that's fine.

But for me it's about more than just the night on the lamp what about the next morning when a dog fed on cheap dry is still stiff and the dog that had chicken mince, tripe, pasta, veg etc is bouncing out of the kennel?

And can you honestly show me a dog fed on cheap dry that looks "well". In real good nick with muscles in the shoulders and back legs? Nice shiny coat?

I honestly think you can see by looking at a dog that it's fed well.

I aren't knocking all dry food by the way. I'm knocking the cheap £6-£8 supermarket shit.

true Gaz, on good grub , as you know mine are feed on 50% raw meat, 50% dry meal 22% proten, and had many good+long night out with Bryn on this food for 6 years.The stiffnes next morning is the salts the dog used up over exercsing, meaning 30-40 runs in the lamp, what not natural exercise for any dog to catch its dinner.! To put the salts back in him i use (electra-lights) and he as spring in his step next day, bit longer now as he got older lol.But being stiff and lack of energy you wont get put back proper or as quick with food, like you will with electra lights .!!

attachicon.gifbu ster.jpg

Now that is what you call diet and exercise

attachicon.gifbu ster.jpg

Looks the part that dog, sounds a mass of food that tho if I gave that much to my dog she would end up like a baby elephent within a week but yours does look well..

all this fancy food you talk about.. all my dogs av bin fed on scrapes what I eat,, etc,, ok before they go to work the will get a tin of salmon, and mash spuds,,,,,all this I tec food in these bags.... its a money making game,,,, you have better in your cupbards,,,,,,in the kitchen,,,,

Edited by tjones3862

Most of the complete dried foods are mailnly cereal based, dogs are designed to eat meat

I feed about 80% meat & bone and around 20% complete meal to fill them up the more meat you feed the less shit to clean up

Cereals are for cows and pigs, a dog fed on a good meat diet will always be in better condition than a dog fed on cereal based complete food

I also add sardines once a week and some chopped raw veg once a week and some big bones to chew as and when I can get them

The pups have been fed on ground flesh from four weeks old and even though I say so myself, they couldn't look better

although we think of dogs as carnivors , , it is not strickty true they are omnivorous they will adapt and have done for many thousands of years , to eat what is available , yes in the western world we have the resorses to feed them meat , that isn't the case in some parts of the world even today , dogs are fed on pitta bread and milk , .if they are kept by hunters maybe the left over bone ,skin and perhaps some offal occasionally , they survive !! they have too . I often think maybe we molly coddle our dogs to much , but that is our western mentality ... ;)

although we think of dogs as carnivors , , it is not strickty true they are omnivorous they will adapt and have done for many thousands of years , to eat what is available , yes in the western world we have the resorses to feed them meat , that isn't the case in some parts of the world even today , dogs are fed on pitta bread and milk , .if they are kept by hunters maybe the left over bone ,skin and perhaps some offal occasionally , they survive !! they have too . I often think maybe we molly coddle our dogs to much , but that is our western mentality ... ;)

As we know you can survive on very little, but you will never prosper on vey little, otherwise athletes would all be living on shit grub !! dogs are the same :thumbs:

• Like 1