Just How Much Protein Does A Puppy Require?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't believe what the manufacturers tell you, that puppies need 30% protein. It is all a sales pitch to get you to buy their food and feel guilty that you may be depriving your precious pup of someth

The thing is you are what you eat, and while a young person, or a young dog, can survive and work on a crap diet, later on it comes back to bite you in the butt in a big way. Some people don't care if

2.5lbs of flesh a day...made up from either or a mix of chicken/beef/lamb/offal/tripe/horse - salmon/tuna/mackerel/sardines - fleshy bones/ribs/necks...pasta/veg and a bit of added fat....and a bit of

Posted Images

I'm convinced the average dog has a better, more natural diet than the average kid.

How many of us allow our kids to eat total teeth rotting shite but wouldn't allow our dogs to eat the same things?

It's weird.

How much protein does a kid need? Fecked if i know.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1

I'm convinced the average dog has a better, more natural diet than the average kid.

How many of us allow our kids to eat total teeth rotting shite but wouldn't allow our dogs to eat the same things?

It's weird.

Very true this fella.

My daughters just had a fish finger sandwich and the pup had 1lb mince chicken, pasta and veg :laugh:

• Like 2

It's weird.

Very true this fella.

My daughters just had a fish finger sandwich and the pup had 1lb mince chicken, pasta and veg :laugh:

lol, just had fish+chips my 2 love that as well, and spaghetti bolognaise , Bryn best nights on that lol, Buck the same loves S/B :laugh:

Ive found out that feed ya dog what u can afford , dosnt have the be a 3course meal of the finest dog food money can buy , bit veg in there meal does them good , I've spend good money on the so called best stuff , and seen no difference ,don't be fooled buy the fancy bags of dog food , if they eat it , and they happy that will do me :)

• Like 1

Ive found out that feed ya dog what u can afford , dosnt have the be a 3course meal of the finest dog food money can buy , bit veg in there meal does them good , I've spend good money on the so called best stuff , and seen no difference ,don't be fooled buy the fancy bags of dog food , if they eat it , and they happy that will do me :)

A mate of mine feeds his dogs cheap £8 a bag dry food from supermarket and says the same as you. They look alright on it. Seem happy enough.

And his dogs are fine in the off season. But when we start grafting them it shows. All day ferreting then lamping at night and then out the next morning. His dogs start lacking, over the weeks the coats start to dull and his dogs take longer to recover. Whereas my bitch seems to thrive the harder I graft her, coat shines and muscles start bulging etc.

I think good grub does make a difference when they are being worked hard.

• Like 2

A mate of mine feeds his dogs cheap £8 a bag dry food from supermarket and says the same as you. They look alright on it. Seem happy enough.

And his dogs are fine in the off season. But when we start grafting them it shows. All day ferreting then lamping at night and then out the next morning. His dogs start lacking, over the weeks the coats start to dull and his dogs take longer to recover. Whereas my bitch seems to thrive the harder I graft her, coat shines and muscles start bulging etc.

as they say you are what you eat but, not trying to knock what you're saying though, do you train your dogs fitness in/out of season more than your mate? That too would have a say on stamina etc...? If you both train dogs the same of course then it shows the value of good food ;-)

• Like 1

If he's a mate then you owe it to him to put him straight. Feeding better does cost a bit more money, but surely the results are worth it? Even if he just adds a bit of hard lamb or beef fat that will give them more energy and a host of vits and mins.

If he's a mate then you owe it to him to put him straight. Feeding better does cost a bit more money, but surely the results are worth it? Even if he just adds a bit of hard lamb or beef fat that will give them more energy and a host of vits and mins.

We regularly thrash it out penny.

He just can't see the benefit of feeding better grub.

He is happy with how much game his dogs catch and that's that.

Fair comment that though..... :yes:

I know two or three lads who feed cheap complete and nothing else....and it shows without a doubt....compared to a dog on a decent diet of raw, good quality carbs and veggies/fruit... :yes:

Penny's right though it don't take much thought or expense to make a difference....

I guess some folk are happy to pour cheap completes into bowls and pass it off as feeding dogs....

Oh the shit they produce will be horrific..... :yes:

Old fella once told me "Any daft c**t can fill a dog.....feeding one is a different thing altogether."

True that.... :thumbs:

Well he must be thick as sh*t if he can't see the difference between his dogs and yours. But, as they say, you can't teach a blind man to see.

Exactly. You can only offer advice.

I'm 99% certain I would catch the same amount of game as I do now if I started feeding what. he feeds.

But I like my dogs to look well and I think if they look good on the outside then the insides are probably doing ok as well.

Fair comment that though..... :yes:

I know two or three lads who feed cheap complete and nothing else....and it shows without a doubt....compared to a dog on a decent diet of raw, good quality carbs and veggies/fruit... :yes:

Penny's right though it don't take much thought or expense to make a difference....

I guess some folk are happy to pour cheap completes into bowls and pass it off as feeding dogs....

Oh the shit they produce will be horrific..... :yes:

Old fella once told me "Any daft c**t can fill a dog.....feeding one is a different thing altogether."

True that.... :thumbs:

Very nice comment that Colin. I like that.

Each to their own as you say. To some lads the dogs are a tool to catch game. If they can get the same end result for less effort and cash then they are happy. Condition of the dogs doesn't come into it for them.