" Eric "

milo

After the hard decision on my female harris,ive decided to go into the new hunting season with a young male goss... he was picked up late yestarday and i got to work with him straight away.

He was hatched on june 5th he came out of the avery weighing in at 2 lb 1 and is parent rared and bred by dean britton.

I put in a few hours late last night manning on the glove and tried to get him to feed but no joy( understandable) i weighed him and he was 1lb 10.

Early thismorning i resumed the manning but took him out along some quiet side roads and along some side streets where we bumped into a few people and some screaming KIDS ! along with the local council gang cutting the grass ( makes a change),i decided to introduce the carry box and i couldnt believe it he jumped right up and steped on the perch :boogy: so means things were looking up i thought "lets see if he will feed off my glove" offered him a small piece of doc and YEP loved it so fed the little guy up a touch with another 4 doc,so far today ive put roughly 5 hours in on the glove cant wait to get going tomorrw now.post-2322-0-43305500-1378327079_thumb.jpgpost-2322-0-72068100-1378327122_thumb.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice bird mate I've got a female I'm training took 10 days to eat off the fist I may start a little diary thing. Good luck mate but most of all take your time no rush to get out hunting ASAP

Milo I'm far from a expert is it worth changing the day old chick for a bit of liver or sum nice red meat just tiny bits my hh is a lot keener with it only suggesting fella atb

If it was me I would use the Martin Hollinshead method, exactly as you have described, KEEP THE BOND WITH HER, its not everyones cup of tea, but it has always` worked for me, a slight drop in weight a

Posted Images

Hope so buddy,i shall try my best like i had done with my last 2 hawks,but this is my first goss ! so im going to try that bit harder if im honest because i want to see how good these hawks realy are,at the moment im still loving the way the male harris hawks perform in the field i absolutlly loved hunting my male he didnt catch every one or have the power like my female had but he gave 100% evert single time while out and thats all we can ask of them.

Hope so buddy,i shall try my best like i had done with my last 2 hawks,but this is my first goss ! so im going to try that bit harder if im honest because i want to see how good these hawks realy are,at the moment im still loving the way the male harris hawks perform in the field i absolutlly loved hunting my male he didnt catch every one or have the power like my female had but he gave 100% evert single time while out and thats all we can ask of them.

Mines the same mate, has guts like nothing else, if you dont mind me asking what happened with your first hawk? Dont answer if your not comfartable telling me its none of my buisness anyway ha

Mines the same mate, has guts like nothing else, if you dont mind me asking what happened with your first hawk? Dont answer if your not comfartable telling me its none of my buisness anyway ha

No thats fine mate,my male died xmas day in a freak accident in his mews,he was the best hawk ive had ever flown/hunted,and ive hunted 1-2,he was soft has a budgie but in the hunting field he just seemed to switch on..i miss him very much and would give £ £££££ to own one like that again.

No thats fine mate,my male died xmas day in a freak accident in his mews,he was the best hawk ive had ever flown/hunted,and ive hunted 1-2,he was soft has a budgie but in the hunting field he just seemed to switch on..i miss him very much and would give £ £££££ to own one like that again.

thats a shame mate, hope all goes as good with this hawk

• Like 1

Day 3...Weighed him early thismorning he was 1lb 10 picked him up and off we went,i introduced him to my Ess out in the field..he wasnt that impressed !

Manned him up for approx an hour and bowed him out in the sunshine untill about 2 oclock where i picked him back up again,hes getting settled now apart from the baiting off the bow on my approch hes getting pretty good,i can now touch him all over breast,feet,legs even his beak..

Took him back in the local farm fields where i introduced him to the local horse population it didnt bother him in the slighest,before i took him back out i weighed him again he was now 1lb 8,9 so i offered him a small piece of doc on the glove and his response was good,so i decided to see how GOOD..i put him on the nearest log and see if he would respond the length of his leash,he jumped about 5 ft so it may not be far but to me its progress and im well pleased :thumbs:post-2322-0-90136500-1378489648_thumb.jpgpost-2322-0-22605100-1378489673_thumb.jpg

Im now on day 6 with eric,ive kept his weight around the 1lb9-10 mk and he seems ok,rousing and sitting on one foot on his bow in the sun,im going to bring him dwn a touch mid week and see what type of a response il get then hopefully come the weekend il be out on the creance.post-2322-0-62589000-1378741564_thumb.jpgpost-2322-0-56915100-1378741594_thumb.jpg

I visited Dean last year....nightmare journey from here, but that's another story.....he had a lot of spars and goshawks that he was rearing as imprints as well as some American Kestrels and a couple of Golden Eagles that had come in from abroad. Eric is parent reared?