Different Pups

double trouble.......rearing and training 1 pup is time consuming at best but 2 ?...........imo much better to rear 1 to maturity getting the best you can from it , then it becomes a little helper when training a new pup, passing on good things, setting a good example etc......2 pups together can bond stronger with each other rather than you, one could dominate and overpower the other never letting it reach its full potential

• Like 5

I'm with Birddog ... rearing two is generally a bad idea for so many reasons. Having two at once usually means they'll bond more with each than then will with you, which can make training a right pain in the back side. Raise one to a good standard, then fetch another in to learn from it :thumbs:

It's hard work but not impossible. I've heard of people keeping whole litters and bringing them on themselves. My dad had two pup from different litters he kennelled them separate and didn't take them out too much together. One was an ok rabbiters would catch 5s and 6s on rabbits in a night and the other wasn't much good at all one thing he did say is you tend to favour one over the other.. I'd rather bring on 2 pups than run a pup on with it's dam. Atb

Edited by fitchet

It's hard work but not impossible. I've heard of people keeping whole litters and bringing them on themselves. My dad had two pup from different litters he kennelled them separate and didn't take them out too much together. One was an ok rabbiters would catch 5s and 6s on rabbits in a night and the other wasn't much good at all one thing he did say is you tend to favour one over the other.. I'd rather bring on 2 pups than run a pup on with it's dam. Atb

not wanting to hijack the thread but.......would training a pup on its own and using its mother to help school it not work well?

not wanting to hijack the thread but.......would training a pup on its own and using its mother to help school it not work well?
it might for most but I know someone who owned both sire and dam and kept a dog pup back. From watching the pup in the field

I believe that pups can be overshadowed or carried by an older animal it has a bond with for a long time. Also when we breed we aim to improve so by running a pup on with it's parents it can learn those annoying little habits that most dogs have.i have also seen bitches that start taking the piss and can turn into liabilitys/pain in the arses es

Especially if the situation is Not under total control by you.

Obviously this doesn't happen all the time I know of some very good dogs that were brought on by there parents. But there is a risk. And obviously if you breed out your own it can't be helped at times. Jmo. Atb.

• Like 1

DON'T DO IT. My mate bred a litter and kept 2 bitch pups, one is an average bitch and the other one couldn't catch a rabbit in a phone box. They just didn't get enough one to one time/training that a lurcher needs to be its best.

There's good to be said for both scenarios. The dam may help give her pup confidence, but if you only take them out together, the pup may learn to rely on her too much. Two pups together can be great, IF you know what you're doing, and give them plenty of one to one time with you alone, but they are usually company for each other in the kennel, and provide a play mate for one another. Also, if something happens to one, you still have the other to continue the line.

The down side of having two pups together is double the work, and there is always a possibility, especially if you keep two bitches, that they won't stay friends. The danger time is when they first come into season and they can fall out big time around this period. I've had to get rid of one sister in the past because she was so nasty to her sibling.

The other down side of keeping two pups is that one may be bullied, or under the thumb of the other one. even if no real aggression is involved. I've been very lucky with the Airedale lurchers, for although Schuck is very dominant and bossy, Lena lives in her own little happy bubble and doesn't really care what's going on around her in the pack: she works just fine, alone or out mooching with the others, but she won't retrieve if there are other dogs around as she is so submissive.

I would say only have two pups if you can really read the dog, its needs and character, and you have masses of time on your hands, and adapt your training to suit the individual; otherwise you risk leaving the less confident pup behind.

• Like 2

There's good to be said for both scenarios. The dam may help give her pup confidence, but if you only take them out together, the pup may learn to rely on her too much. Two pups together can be great, IF you know what you're doing, and give them plenty of one to one time with you alone, but they are usually company for each other in the kennel, and provide a play mate for one another. Also, if something happens to one, you still have the other to continue the line.

The down side of having two pups together is double the work, and there is always a possibility, especially if you keep two bitches, that they won't stay friends. The danger time is when they first come into season and they can fall out big time around this period. I've had to get rid of one sister in the past because she was so nasty to her sibling.

The other down side of keeping two pups is that one may be bullied, or under the thumb of the other one. even if no real aggression is involved. I've been very lucky with the Airedale lurchers, for although Schuck is very dominant and bossy, Lena lives in her own little happy bubble and doesn't really care what's going on around her in the pack: she works just fine, alone or out mooching with the others, but she won't retrieve if there are other dogs around as she is so submissive.

I would say only have two pups if you can really read the dog, its needs and character, and you have masses of time on your hands, and adapt your training to suit the individual; otherwise you risk leaving the less confident pup behind.

Funny you mention that Skycat the 2 bitches my mate kept out of his litter started to try kill each other as they got to about the 12 month stage. He kennels them separate now as they can't be trusted together.

Me and my misses got 2 cocker pups last year from different litters a day between them age wise, and a lurcher pup that is a month older, all are trained to a high standard and all are coming on well entering in to their first season of working, depends how much time and work you have for them mate they will play etc fine together but every pup needs one on one time, if you need 2 dogs to handle the work load next year then do it if you have the patience and time but if you just want 2 for wants sake then get 1 enjoy it then get another when its a seasoned dog that's learned what it's about