Help!

Guest foxyforce1

Guest foxyforce1

Hi folks, went to my weathering today to do some manning with the hawk and he was siting on one leg and when on the fist he wont put any pressure on his right leg at all, he will put it down on the glove but hes siting to one side using his wings to steady himself, he just started steping up onto the fist yersterday so this is gutting! be going to the vet straight away if hes still the same tommorrow, does anyone know the form if his leg is broken or fractured?? kinda worried especially as he was doing great at this stage of training, any help or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

I have had a problem with a harris hawks leg but before comment on your situation I would take your bird to the vets because only with an x-ray can they tell whats going on. On my experiance I had a female Harris it was'nt mine i was looking after it ready for a breading project and it anklet broke and it could not have broken for more than 10 mins coz I'd just put her on the lawn so I replaced the anklet which was no problem because she was extreamly well maned and I did it while she was on the perch. Woke up next day and she was not on her perch but on the floor lying down as if on eggs so I gave her a little nudge to try and get her to stand but she could only stand on one leg (not the leg I'd changed the anklet on) and was using her wing to balance so my mate (the one that owned her) took her to the vets and they said it was broke in two places at the top/thigh and put a pin up through the knee joint up into the thigh. After the operation all eas going well she started using the leg and had antibiotics for a week but unfortunatly a few weeks later the bird got a secondary infection and did'nt pull through.

THIS IS MY EXPERIANCE AND DOS'NT MEAN THAT WHAT'S UP WITH YOUR BIRD. THIS IS THE WORST CASE SENARRIO WHICH ALWAY HAPPENS TO ME.

TAKE THE BIRD TO THE VET AND SEE WHAT HE/SHE SAYS YES IT CAN BE FIXED BUT LOOK OUT FOR SECONDARY INFECTION "IF I HAD OF SHE MIGHT HAVE STILL BEEN HERE"

GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW THE OUT COME :cry:

I expect it'll depend on the kind of break it is and exactly where it is as to the treatment. One of our hh's broke her leg last year and ended up in a mega meccano structure! We had to clean where the pins went in every day. She was fine afterwards and is back to her old self. The one thing ive noticed tho is she hates going in her box lol I suppose its association with going in the car to the 'nasty man'.

Let us know how your bird does :)

Good luck mate. It sounds dodgy.

Was she bating a lot when tied to her perch? I am presuming here that you have just caught her and put her anklets etc on as you say you were just training getting her to step up. If this is the case then she could have broke it bating, although that is more common in shortwings.

Keep us informed , and all the best of luck to you.

Guest foxyforce1

Yeah hes just 16 weeks old, started training just over a week ago, although he was coming along nicely with manning etc he was baiting alot in the weathering, just need to keep my fingers crossed.

Billy

Guest foxyforce1

Hi Folks, just an update, the verdict was a broken "temiotarsus" which im told is his shin bone and hes geting surgery for it today or tommorrow and will be out of action for 5-6 weeks, the vet sais its very common in birds of his age and is a straightforward procedure so i guess it could have been worse, he should return to full fitness afterwars which i was glad to hear, will just start training from scratch when hes back to full fitness.

cheers Billy

Hi Folks, just an update, the verdict was a broken "temiotarsus" which im told is his shin bone and hes geting surgery for it today or tommorrow and will be out of action for 5-6 weeks, the vet sais its very common in birds of his age and is a straightforward procedure so i guess it could have been worse, he should return to full fitness afterwars which i was glad to hear, will just start training from scratch when hes back to full fitness.

cheers Billy

Hope you got the hawk insured as its only when things go wrong wee wish we had some :icon_redface: . good luck with it mate, was it alister lawrie that you wemt to? he knows his stuff :thumbs:

Guest foxyforce1

he wasnt insured no but trust me he will be very shortly! not sure of the guys name, was the surgery in cumbernauld i took him to, although the same guy did healthcheck my previous Harris at the surgery in Falkirk a few weeks back, seemed to know his stuff.

cheers

Glad you're on your way to getting your bird better. Shame you had no insurance... neither did we at the time when ours broke hers and we gave up counting the cost after £800!! Crazy amount but she's worth every penny.