Should I Or Not

I've just been told to give my lurcher x bull electrolytes taking her on a bike ride in mornings 5 miles then give her soaked pro plan in morning and dry at night she is not the fittest dog yet as she been kennelled up for a while then she got given to me am I pushing her to hard at 5 miles I was thinking of doing another 5 at night

• Like 1

I took a dog on last year in some state from being permanently kennelled,ditch the bike for now.

I took some advice from skycat which was pretty much common sense but worked well,road walk the dog for a few weeks(trotting and building up the the miles slowly) building up lost muscle while bonding I used hydrotherapy aswell to build up without any additional strain on the dog then after a couple of months then started with the bike.

This may not be what you want to hear time scale wise but the slow and steady approach worked wonders for my dog.

Good luck and pump it full of good quality grub.

She about 3 ish maybe a few months older i have been walking her and letting her free run for about two weeks to get her to trot I'm either gonna have to jog or use bike I can't see how else you gonna get her to trot that's all she is doing on a bike anyway she not quite running and as I say I give her that pro plan dry food I give her wet once a day and dry once a day as her teeth were a bit shitty from eating wet all the time I understand it will take time but this is my first lurcher and I don't want to give her any thing that one she dont need and two that I don't understand

i'd forget the bike mate, decent roadwork, a bit of swimming, ballwork, woodland / hedgerow mooching, retrieving / jumping practise, etc will get her fit and give her some variety, lamping season not far away and by building up from a dozen runs or so by november she'll be flying

• Like 2

She about 3 ish maybe a few months older i have been walking her and letting her free run for about two weeks to get her to trot I'm either gonna have to jog or use bike I can't see how else you gonna get her to trot that's all she is doing on a bike anyway she not quite running and as I say I give her that pro plan dry food I give her wet once a day and dry once a day as her teeth were a bit shitty from eating wet all the time I understand it will take time but this is my first lurcher and I don't want to give her any thing that one she dont need and two that I don't understand

Good article from Skycat at the top of the lurcher discussion page regarding conditioning....worth a read....5 miles in the morning shouldn't be a starting point...and another 5 miles at night would be way too much....as for the electrolytes....used to use them....don't now and haven't noticed any difference.... :thumbs:

• Like 1

The key is build up not break down.

As above general mooching about but build up gradually.

If you want to trot it then put your running shoes on and run with it, the human jog and dog trot are about perfect and that way you'll get knackered before it does (unless your a runner) and you can build up together.

Ball work is always good if not injured but again build up gradually.

If the dog starts sweating give electrolytes, it won't :thumbs: but otherwise good old water, decent complete and butchers waste type meat and bones along with table scraps should do the trick

This is her yes she already broken she is a good dog hard as f**k the only reason I got given her was she hit a tree and hurt her left shoulder the muscle in that shoulder is as if there isn't any there the vet said that she would be fine to keep running and it shouldn't hurt her but the bloke was used to her at 100% but now he noticed she is just not good enough for him and passed her to me which is fine as its my first one as you lot say I don't want to ruined her but wanting to much to quick so ill stick to walking and let her run at her own pace for the next couple of weeks what would you say the outing should be about an hour or so

And going back to the electrolytes your ment only have them to rehydrate yourself as you lose everything via sweat so as dogs don't sweat surely they don't lose anything or is that wrong?

post-55760-0-45899300-1378227143_thumb.jpg

thats a smart looking bitch mate :thumbs: , but forget all about electrolytes, make the bitch your pal, give her time to heal, lots of walking will get her up on her toes and sort them nails out, i think if you take your time and put a wee bit of time and work into her you'll have your mate kicking himself for getting rid of her

• Like 1