All The Gear...yet...no Idea!!!

This comment is something we hear often in Professional Hunters conversations around the camp fire in Southern Africa, as a PH myself I have seen this phenomenon all to often out on Safari in Africa and I must say it is fairly common here in the UK to some extent when hunting with an air rifle. It is my humble opinion that to much emphasis is put on equipment and not enough on actual field craft and rifle handling! I am a BSA fan, have been since i was a 9yrs old and my dad handed me my .177 Meteor to sharpen my skills, open sights and basic pellets...I recall keeping my pointed pellets seperate for those "Big Game" shots on ducks and geese!!! Anyhow that was many moons ago, I now own two BSA rifles here in the UK both BSA's, an Ultra in .22 and a Scorpion SE in .177, the latter being my primary vermin rifle!

On most forums and you tube videos I see guys shooting over a bench or bipod shooting one hole clusters at 25-30 yards and being as pleased as punch with their shooting, occasionally they push this out to 40-50 yards but thats about it, still off a bench/bipod. Any reasonable shooter with their rifle/pellet combination dialled in can achieve this, not a great feat in my opinion. Both my rifles shoot slightly over pellet sized clusters with their preferred pellets and once they are sighted thats it done and dusted, I then practise shooting from various positions not on a bench/bipod and spend most of my time shooting free hand. So far this season I have shot 69 woodies, 73 rabbits and five squirrels, two of my friends who join me on these shoots are stunned by my numbers when they battle to get anything. The answer is simple...they spend to much time trying to get set up and comfortable and by the time they are ready to squeeze off a shot the target has moved off, both battle with range estimation and it costs them dearly in the field. Both shoot well on the range but fail to produce the goods in the field because the are not honing the techniques needed to shoot fast without the help of bipods and rangefinders etc. On our last trip, yesterday, to the range I showed the a useful technique which I would like to share with you all now. Take two rabbit targets at 30 meters, the first one shoot at your own time free hand "No rest" whatsoever and fire ten shots! Now onto target number two, shoot ten shots as fast as possible but using this technique, aim at the base of the target and move up the target until you reach the vitals and squeeze off the shot, reload and repeat DO NOT try and hold your point of aim on the vital/kill area simply move the crosshair through the target like a shotgun shooter does with a clay target, find the line move up follow through and squeeze of a shot...do this fast though...no time to over think the shot or try and aim at a pin point spot on the target which takes time...the more time the more you will end up shaking like a leaf. Now compare group sizes, both my friends could not believe the results they achieved after a few runs shooting fast!!! Give it a go and let me know what you think?

Matt and Andrew, my shooting mates, have in fact now also bought Scorpion SE's in .177 and judging by how most Scorpions perform with JSB Exact pellets I think they are going to love their new rifle's performance, all three of us shoot sub 20mm 10 shot groups at fifty with my rifle. As a PH from Africa I live carrying a rifle for most of the year and when I am required to use my 458 Win Mag or 470 double rifle there is no time for messing around...you shoot free hand...so thats what I practise! It works for me and has helped Matt and Andrew so hopefully some hunters on this forum may benefit from the above technique?

PS...if your ever planning to hunt out in Africa take your most trusted rifle do not buy a new TURBO charged model that you can only shoot comfortably with a muzzle break...a muzzle break is a sure fire way of telling your PH that you are afraid of your rifles recoil, I have seen it many times...if your hunting plains game then take your trusty 270, 308 or 30-06 not a 338 or 375 with a muzzle break! A well placed bullet from a rifle you love is better than ten poorly placed shots from a cannon you battle to control! Just my humble opinion!

You all take care and hunt safely and responsibly!

Cheers Trev

Edited by moxy
  • Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to the section.   You sound like you're a cracking shot buddy . 40 to 50 yard cluster groups pretty easy . Its nice to have someone with that skill join us . I for one are always up to l

Interesting post.   The next time I'm on the plains in SA I'll leave the muzzle break at home. I did wonder why the PHs were giving me funny looks.

Interesting !!

Welcome to the section.

You sound like you're a cracking shot buddy :thumbs: . 40 to 50 yard cluster groups pretty easy :thumbs:. Its nice to have someone with that skill join us :yes:. I for one are always up to learn from someone with so much experience.

69 woodies, 73 rabbits and five squirrels :clapper::notworthy: and a fox with your air rifle :thumbs:, good going that pal, I don't shoot that much in 5 seasons.

Enjoy, I'm sure your going to be a big hit here :yes: .

Edited by zini
  • Like 8

I'm hoping that you are doing your " pro hunting " with an air rifle on foxes in Africa and not here in the uk.

Interesting post.

There's one or two folk on here that are a dab hand with the old air plinker and tally bags which make your pigeons and squirrels look a little feeble.

Without bipods, rangefinders etc etc and just using the art of field craft and good old shooting skills.

It's not a myth nor is it black magic.

I hope this topic was just to air your opinion and not a direct pop at anyone.

Welcome to the site.

To add. Although airgun laws vary in different country's and the topic starter claims to be from Africa, I am assuming that the above reference to a fox shot with an airgun was not in the uk.

ANY posts on this site in regards to the above would be illegal and the posts and member/s will be removed.