Fox Really Vermin?

I know foxes need to be controlled etc for various reasons but should an apex predator really be classed as vermin as all its doing it using its hunting skills and opportunism to get by and survive due to us laying it on a plate and providing that increase of variety to it

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not a pest because of what it is.   It's a pest because of where it it is.

They only kill like that when they encounter livestock in un-natural numbers , they go into a frenzy, killing, half burying the bodys , biting heads off . They are only acting out of an instinct to ki

All depends in what area, areas of England are different from lets say areas of sheep farming Wales. In a lot of areas people love killing foxes and use 'pest control' as an excuse. I know keepers who

All depends in what area, areas of England are different from lets say areas of sheep farming Wales. In a lot of areas people love killing foxes and use 'pest control' as an excuse. I know keepers who toss themselves off over lamping a fox convinced they are billy big balls pest controllers while their estates, including grouse moors, are over run with crows and stoats.

Iv had the privilege to meet and work with keepers and hill farmers from a different era, they were beyond retirement when I was 14 or starting my first job at 16. They were men who lived their life pitting their wits against vermin of all kinds, including foxes, yet I cant help but feel that they would be saddened to see night vision, electric callers and military hardware being used against foxes. (though I see its value for certain jobs)

I remember going out hunting round here knowing we could find a few foxes, recently we have found 1 fox in 5 mornings, are there more game birds and wildlife, less lambs being taken??? I dont see it, the place is still over run with less fashionable vermin.

• Like 5

If they're in a place where they are causing problems to humans they are vermin, what else would they be? :hmm: Same thing as if a rat in your house is vermin - but if the same rat is living in the woods minding its own business, it's wildlife..

good way to look at it that malt. Recently my mates mam bought some chickens (5 of them) because she had wanted to for a while, she bakes a lot so figured she could save a few quid on eggs, with the enjoyment of raising chickens too.

Fox got in after a few month, killed them all, never ate even one...that is a vermin to me, not an apex predator.

• Like 1

I know foxes need to be controlled etc for various reasons but should an apex predator really be classed as vermin as all its doing it using its hunting skills and opportunism to get by and survive due to us laying it on a plate and providing that increase of variety to it

. Listen bollocks go and torment some other fookers
  • Like 2

. Listen bollocks go and torment some other fookers

your banters absolutely sh**e punk

It's not a pest because of what it is.

It's a pest because of where it it is.

There's loads of farmers around here that don't mind foxes cos they keep the ahem.....vermin under control round the farm ill pull the trigger on a fox of I had to but I just think there's abit of arrogance on our part to class it as vermin when it's just driven by pure instinct to survive

• Like 1

a highly respected vermin in my book ,............there sly cunning ways are great too watch..........but not if you depend on it for lively hood or are threatened in anyway in urban areas too humanity...........but too watch them in the countryside and you could set your watch on them .........they have my upper most respect and I believe a bullet is not good enough for them , unless you have too.........

• Like 1

There's loads of farmers around here that don't mind foxes cos they keep the ahem.....vermin under control round the farm ill pull the trigger on a fox of I had to but I just think there's abit of arrogance on our part to class it as vermin when it's just driven by pure instinct to survive

Couldn't agree more. Vermin isn't contained to four legs either... Have you ever been to Wythenshawe? ;)

It's not a pest because of what it is.

It's a pest because of where it it is.

No more arrogant than classing anything else as vermin, after all they are all only driven by the instinct to survive. The reason they are vermin is because they are a bit too good at it.

• Like 1

Vermin is just a word we use to describe a creature that we detest because it carries desease and damages crops and food ! I have spent most of my life pitting my wits against foxes and have nothing but admiration for them . I would not call them vermin , they are too noble a creature to be given such a lable . But when mans interests and charlies clash , he must come second , of that there is no question !!! As for night vision and all other modern gizmos , we are in an age now when time and effort , fieldcrarft , knowledge of your quarry , will not matter so much when we just have to go out and buy something to make life easier . I swore i would never have a mobile phone ........ i have one now !!!

• Like 1

But there not an apex predator. In other countries wolves, eagles etc. thin them out.

• Like 1