I Hunt With Mink!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

trout

Hello all! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Joseph Carter and I am from the U.S. I have invented a sport I call Minkenry. It's kind of like ferreting, but with a mink! As far as I know I'

Bloody hell   This has all got a bit out of hand. It would be a shame if you stopped posting as I, and obviously many others, find the posts very interesting. How about a bit of live and let live o

Where did it catch the squirrel?

She caught it under a barn. These squirrels are what we call Rock Squirrels (Spermophilus variegatus). They look like the invasive american grey squirrels you have in your country, but they are larger, and live underground. They can and will climb trees (one of the squirrels we were chasing yesterday climbed up a tree to escape) but they are primarily ground squirrels who dig and live in underground burrows.

• Like 1

I can see why they make coats out of them, impressive fur. Do they have webbed feet ?

they are proper stunning creatures aren't they!

I wonder how long it is before someone does the same thing over here now people have seen it can be done?

I can see why they make coats out of them, impressive fur. Do they have webbed feet ?

I wonder how long it is before someone does the same thing over here now people have seen it can be done?

Before I ever joined this forum I had a couple different people from the UK talk about wanting to do what I do. I also had some girls in France that already have pet mink that said they were going to start hunting with them like I do. They ferreted rabbits a little bit with their pet ferrets and already had their own pet mink. It's just a few more steps before they are hunting with them. But talk is cheap, and I haven't seen anyone in Europe actually do anything yet. I'm sure someone will before long.

I have a small handful of guys her in the U.S. that have bought mink off of me, or caught their own, and are trying to do what I do. Several of them are close, and one has caught at least one head of wild game, but their mink are all still in training, so nothing too exciting yet. I would expect that it won't be long before there are successful minkeners in several parts of North America and in Europe as well. Only time will tell how many, and how long it takes.

Edited by Minkenry

Before I ever joined this forum I had a couple different people from the UK talk about wanting to do what I do. I also had some girls in France that already have pet mink that said they were going to start hunting with them like I do. They ferreted rabbits a little bit with their pet ferrets and already had their own pet mink. It's just a few more steps before they are hunting with them. But talk is cheap, and I haven't seen anyone in Europe actually do anything yet. I'm sure someone will before long.

I have a small handful of guys her in the U.S. that have bought mink off of me, or caught their own, and are trying to do what I do. Several of them are close, and one has caught at least one head of wild game, but their mink are all still in training, so nothing too exciting yet. I would expect that it won't be long before there are successful minkeners in several parts of North America and in Europe as well. Only time will tell how many, and how long it takes.

I guess having the right prey for them is the main thing, I would guess if you used them for rabbits over here you'd spend half the day digging!

Good to see that all the toys have been put back in the pram and we are back on track,as we are all on this forum for the same reason....... We share a common interest !!!!! It's a fascinating subject, and one that has certainly generated a lot of interest and discussion, and I dare say planted a few seeds in peoples minds.Thinking out of the box often leads to new or different ways of doing what has become established methods, and without it , we'd still be trying to invent the wheel. Keep up the innovation and interesting posting Minkenry. Who knows where it will lead