I Hunt With Mink!

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

trout

Hello all! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Joseph Carter and I am from the U.S. I have invented a sport I call Minkenry. It's kind of like ferreting, but with a mink! As far as I know I'

Bloody hell   This has all got a bit out of hand. It would be a shame if you stopped posting as I, and obviously many others, find the posts very interesting. How about a bit of live and let live o

This beats that "Uccles" fella doing it with the snakes.

I bet you could do wonderous things with an Otter.

My hats off to you fella for going out and having a go at something different.

PS..if anyone mentions lining there Micro's tell em to fekk off ! :laugh:

The ferret has been domesticated for 1000s of years. The otter is trained in some parts of the world to catch fish and bring them back to the boat, even if the otter is on a leash.

Didn't Phil Drabble hand rear a badger and a stoat and make pets of them ?

But this man has done what has always been considered impossible by the experts by training a mink.

And to say a ferret would be just as good ????

IMO 999 out of 1000 ferrets wouldn't even catch a toothy quarry like a nutria in water let alone do battle with it in water.

Another thing, how many of you who consider your ferrets to be completely manageable in your hands would put the same ferret on your shoulder in close proximity to your ears or nose etc. ?

I take my hat of to this man.

• Like 8

The ferret has been domesticated for 1000s of years. The otter is trained in some parts of the world to catch fish and bring them back to the boat, even if the otter is on a leash.

Didn't Phil Drabble hand rear a badger and a stoat and make pets of them ?

But this man has done what has always been considered impossible by the experts by training a mink.

And to say a ferret would be just as good ????

IMO 999 out of 1000 ferrets wouldn't even catch a toothy quarry like a nutria in water let alone do battle with it in water.

Another thing, how many of you who consider your ferrets to be completely manageable in your hands would put the same ferret on your shoulder in close proximity to your ears or nose etc. ?

I take my hat of to this man.

Neil, many animals and all mustlelids can be tamed including mink. Its no big surprise as my step brother works pure eu's, which is an animal everyone seems to think cannot work. I also have some ferrets solely as pets and would trust them with any of my body parts! :thumbs:

• Like 2

I agree that most, if not all, animals if started very young can be tamed.

Not for one second am I suggesting that a mink would be of more use to a rabbit catcher than a ferret. After all the ferret has been selectively bred for centuries to do a job. I can't see someone bettering this within a generation or two with a different species.

But, as the man said in his post, he has looked long and hard for someone who has the same project as himself. He say's he's found no one yet.

I'd well believe that.

As far as pure polecats go ?

One of the reasons we have the domestic ferret is because of it's ancestor the polecats willingness to be hand tamed. It's was an easy wild animal for our own ancestors to train. The same reason we have the dog .

It's easy now to say that the mink can be trained as this young man has just shown us that.

Was there anyone training mink (even just for basic tasks) say 4 or 5 years ago ?

I doubt it.

• Like 1

after seeing the video how many would prefer to work mink rather than the tried and tested ferret???

not me.. I'm a rabbit hunter and the humble ferret has been domesticated and purposefully bred to do that job.. Would you rather use a fox or a dingo to hunt rabbits, or would you use a dog?

I've seen a video of a bloke hunting trout with a mink on the Internet a few weeks ago.

Not sure if this was you or not?

Really impressive either way. All the best.

Really? Can you find the link and send it to me? I have yet to meet someone who practices minkenry, so if there is someone else out there I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to see what they do and talk to them. So please please PLEASE send me the link if you can, or describe the video to me in more detail. Chances are it's just another one of my videos. I have A TON of minkenry videos out there!

• Like 1