I Hunt With Mink!

Hello all! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Joseph Carter and I am from the U.S. I have invented a sport I call Minkenry. It's kind of like ferreting, but with a mink! As far as I know I'm the first to do it, though I'm sure it's very possible that someone somewhere has tried this before, I have yet to find anyone who has (and believe me I have looked!) Ether way, I am working to improve my sport, and love to share it with others.

I know most Europeans hate mink with a passion and blame everything on them from global warming to the reason their wife cheated on them. Here where I live mink are native, so please refrain from giving me lectures on why all mink should die. I get enough of that from Brits who post on my Youtube videos. If you want to hate mink and blame them for every problem that exists in your country, then please go off on someone else, because I don't want to hear it.

I was interested in joining this forum because I would like to learn more about ferreting, and see what things I can add to my sport of minkenry. I also love sharing what I'm doing, so it's fun to find people who want to talk about my sport as well.

In case you are curious, here's a little about how my interest in mink began here's the story behind it. I became interested in mink when I moved near several mink farms in Lehi Utah, during my last year of high school. This was the first time I was introduced to mink. When I moved to Lehi I knew nothing about mink, and I was told by everyone around town that mink were wild, vicious, and impossible to tame. Having had plenty of experience taming and training wild hawks and falcons as a falconer (with a late season passage cooper's hawks being one of them), and wild horses as a horse trainer, I decided to try to do the "impossible" and tame a mink.

Soon after taming a couple different mink, I became intrigued with the idea of hunting and fishing with a trained mink. I have since hunted and fished with several different mink that I have trained. I have found Minkenry to be just as addictive as falconry, with the added satisfaction of knowing I'm the first to do the sport. I'm sure it's possible SOMEONE SOMEWHERE has tried hunting with a mink, but I have a hard enough time finding people who can even handle them with out gloves, let alone train them to hunt. Here's a little video I put together showing some of my mink in action......

http://youtu.be/smpsEQaCbBU

And here are a few pics of my mink.....

Here's one of my female mink Missy about to catch a muskrat

309487_10151143063206612_1881894733_n_zp

Here's one of Missy and I with a brown rat she caught

154314_10151089993611612_18525687_n_zpse

Here's Missy killing a muskrat

428330_10151183357831612_1486175549_n_zp

Here we are with yet another brown rat

15049_10151096451481612_1364715596_n_zps

Here's my female mink Thioⁿbasabe' (that means "black lightening in the Omaha Native American Language) sleeping in the pocket of my Minkenry vest on the way home.

9w2day_zps611788ed.jpg

Here's my mink Missy with her first rock squirrel

minkenry_zpsbc09719f.jpg

and here we are with a muskrat she caught and killed

12623_10151143050076612_118290147_n_zps1

• Like 16

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

trout

Hello all! I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Joseph Carter and I am from the U.S. I have invented a sport I call Minkenry. It's kind of like ferreting, but with a mink! As far as I know I'

Bloody hell   This has all got a bit out of hand. It would be a shame if you stopped posting as I, and obviously many others, find the posts very interesting. How about a bit of live and let live o

My hat is off to you my friend as you sure have a talent well done :thumbs: .

I have trapped a few mink over ere and ever time I have a heavy heart as they are loverly , but on this little island they need to be hit hard as they are successful at what they do lol.

I dont hate mink in fact im glad they are ere

• Like 2

I watched your videos (there's another one on youtube) with total fascination: when Missy dragged the muskrat back into the carrier I realised that I was watching the results of some real training done by someone who understands the animal completely :thumbs:

You say they were born on mink farms: did you actually hand rear them, or were they parent reared?

Brilliant watching them, and thanks very much for posting on here. Always very interesting to see something completely out of the ordinary. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Mink only cause global warming in America, everyone on here knows that.

Fair play to you for having a go, but theres got to be a reason your the only one doing it? Can I ask what a Mink brings to the table, that a ferret doesn't?

trout

Where?

good on ya, one thing I notice is that you don't use "ferret finders" like we do, is this because rat burrows are more shallow and less likely to need digging, or are you guys less worried about losing them, than we are with ferts

Great vids!

Personally I like the mink, they just shouldn't be here really, just like the grey tree rats shouldn't be here. Pretty sure they are at least partly responsible for global warming too...

What an animal to train though, would actually love that!