Dougie Male Harris Hawk

Sorry for not updating the thread in a while, ive been poorly lately with an infection in the bowels, so i havent been out with the hawk in weeks due to the crippling stomach pains,

Anyway im ok now and so ive spent the last week just flying the bird and getting him back into it after hes been putting on weight from not being flown

Went out lamping yesterday and for one reason or another he just wasnt coming onto terms with the roosting birds, so went out lamping again today and a pigeon was sat on the tree about 50 yards away. The bird spotted it and set off after it. Only he looked like he was flying straight for the tree 10ft to the side of the one the pigeon was sat in, i started swearing at the bird as seconds later i was sure he was gonna land in that tree scarring away the perfect slip, only just as he got to the wrong tree he folded his wings in, turned sharply to his left and smashed the pigeon straight off the tree branch leaving a mushroom cloud of feathers were just 15 seconds ago the pigeon was sat happily asleep. Was so happy to get a kill after the lay up me and him have had

I will post the pic later when shitbucket mobile decides to update itself

• Like 3

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive decided to start a diary on my male harris hawks new season, ive had him going out of the moult again for little under a week but i wanted to start the diary on a kill,   So with the bird weigh

Sorry for not updating the thread in a while, ive been poorly lately with an infection in the bowels, so i havent been out with the hawk in weeks due to the crippling stomach pains, Anyway im ok now

You've done right by the hawk, get another one and carry on. Early next season get it up here for a few days on the dales, we should be able to get it entered easily enough on a few dumb young bunnie

Thanks mate

Glad your feeling better mate, did he start taking rabbits on the lamp before you were ill mate?

No mate he still isnt bothered about them on the lamp, although my mate shot a mixi one with the catty on the lamp and as it jumped up the bird flew it hard and smashed it. So he might be showing an interest but havent tested it out yet, maybe next season he will take to them.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately ive had to make the hard decision to sell the hawk, after flying with hawkingyorkshires male for a season with no incidents mines suddenly decided to try and attack other harris hawks, resulting in almost killing one friends bird after taking him off my mates fist in a head bind, and grabbing hawkingyorkshires male as soon as he saw him. I dont know why he has done it but he is gunning for any hawk.

Which has meant that friends are refusing to take their bird out with mine, something which i cant have, ive had a few enquiries already and have turned some muppets away, he will be going to the best home i can find as im in no rush to sell him. I cant be having a hawk were hes making other people feel unsafe and putting me on edge too, the decisions not come easy by any means

Maybe mate, but then again i will be in the same position with not being able to fly together with friends, i love the cast flying thats why ive had to sell this bird, im absolutely gutted and at the time gobsmacked that he did it, at first i thought it may have been a one off and only did it because it was an unfamiliar bird, but then he did the same to hawkingyorkshires male and hes been flying with that bird all season.

I think a fresh male harris next season is on the cards, or maybe a female this time?

I'm not a fan of cast flying so I'm biased :-) but this could happen with the next bird, so what would you do then mate?

You catch more on your own anyway :-)

But good luck with what ever you do though mate

I'm not a fan of cast flying so I'm biased :-) but this could happen with the next bird, so what would you do then mate?

You catch more on your own anyway :-)

But good luck with what ever you do though mate

It wasnt just when cast flying though mate, my bird grabbed my mates off of his fist.

If it happened again then i wouod just accept im cursed and have to put up with it. But for now im always flying with friends so a bird that wants to kill other hawks on sight isnt an option, ive found a cracking hunting home for him where he will be flown on his own just how he needs to.

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

Well a bloke came not long ago from a fair distance away to see the bird, hes ended up buying him,

Im more than happy with the home he will be going to. He will be flown on his own on the lamp at pigeons and other birds and wont be bothering anybody elses birds. So i guess this is the end of the diary then, hope youve all enjoyed it despite the crap season ive had, thanks

• Like 1