Dougie Male Harris Hawk

:boogy: kill number 6:

Managed to sneak a couple of hours out today between the bad weather, bird was certainly ready for it and was really switched on, started the day of with a great rabbit chase with the bird just missing before it got to cover, the bird dove back into the thick stuff and a scream started, ran over only to find the bird had lost it :doh:

So i decided to head to the field where he caught his last pigeon, and sure enough in the exact same place was a flock of pigeons, same situation as last time with the pigeons unable to see the bird, he set off like shit off a shovel, cutto the side sticking right close to the cover before cutting back in and smashing a pigeon that was too unlucky not to set off earlier, really pleased to have got a kill after the birds been grounded due to shocking weather, i think he is becoming a pigeon expert lol

Pic of the field, the pigeon flocks sit right tight to the strip of cover, easy to see why it makes it possible for the bird to catch pigeons

2013-10-13171201_zps7a2eaeec.jpg

Kill pic

2013-10-13170125_zps3f7a9d36.jpg

as you can see he was being abit camera shy lol

• Like 1

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ive decided to start a diary on my male harris hawks new season, ive had him going out of the moult again for little under a week but i wanted to start the diary on a kill,   So with the bird weigh

Sorry for not updating the thread in a while, ive been poorly lately with an infection in the bowels, so i havent been out with the hawk in weeks due to the crippling stomach pains, Anyway im ok now

You've done right by the hawk, get another one and carry on. Early next season get it up here for a few days on the dales, we should be able to get it entered easily enough on a few dumb young bunnie

Was supposed to be lamp training the bird tonight but glad i didnt as it is pissing it down lol,

Set of this morning just to see what was about, the bird bound to a magpie on top of a hedge that runs along a river, then managed to let go of it, the bird got back up and tail chased it almost vertical, was like watching a gos ha, unfortunately just missing its body but pulling three tail feathers out,

A little way down the river a rabbit broke cover and there was a great flight with the rabbit giving its all, bird just missed the headbind by literally 1/2 inch, i was gutted not to get a kill as the bird was desperate for one after yesterdays day off, maybe tommorow

Sounds good mate. Mines had a few unlucky flights this week including one on a pheasant that lost a few of its tail feathers lol.

Thanks mate, its funny he has never showed any interest in magpies whatsoever, if he had my tally would be well over 50 by now lol, it was certainly a suprise when i saw him flying up its arse, hopefully he will keep it up

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great day today, early this morning my mentors son came round asking if i wanted to go hunting with his 3lb 2oz female gos. Had 2 nice flights at a pheasant and seagull but we didnt manage to get them, still was great to be out watching another birds flying style,

Kill number: 7

Got back late but managed to get out with mine for a quick fly, let him off and 2 seconds later i hear his bells as he dives into a covey of partridge, run over to him and hes sat on his prize, let him have his feed and went home

2013-10-31162757_zps8b3c64db.jpg

Edited by youcanthide...BANG
  • Like 2

Yeh I had 1 with my male, never got too near to one again though lol but it's amazing what these Harris's can pick up over the seasons, I had quite an interesting 'various list' with my harris.....

• Like 1

Yeh I had 1 with my male, never got too near to one again though lol but it's amazing what these Harris's can pick up over the seasons, I had quite an interesting 'various list' with my harris.....

Haha i added a various earlier on but luckily managed to save and release it after a couple of weeks of care lol, hes had plenty of opportunities on them as theres loads round here but he just seems to get his footing wrong, maybe because theres so many in such a small space