Lets See Your Working Russells

Dabhand, never had black dogs nor did my Dad back in England. May take a pup in the next year or so just out of interest, my Russells do everything I expect and work all the quarry I hunt so never seen the need to look black.

• Like 3

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

nice looking russell looks a strong dog two of my bull/russell for next year

Posted Images

The white dog pup goes back to the old Maypole line, there is some of Cloughies Pengelli in there too.

The other dogs go back to a line here in the US, Fox Island. Behind that there was a fair bit of Pengelli and Foxwarren.

It has been said that some of the best working Russell blood left the UK and crossed the pond in the 1980's. A controversial subject in some circles. How was it possible for those men to meet the demand at the time without compromising quality ? Was it ethical ? Some people regard bloodlines as sacred and sharing them with strangers nothing short of sacrilege . The vast amounts of money reportedly changing hands at the time would appear to give credit to the disapproving that these men had sold out , quite literally.

Looking at the dogs in the photographs the " type " seems to have been retained. Something that in my opinion can not always be said of the KC Parson in the UK. Another venture that proved to be financially successful for some. But more importantly these terriers are worked ? No harm done it would seem to the sacred lines.

• Like 2

Looking at the dogs in the photographs the " type " seems to have been retained. Something that in my opinion can not always be said of the KC Parson in the UK. Another venture that proved to be financially successful for some. But more importantly these terriers are worked ? No harm done it would seem to the sacred lines.

EC, there is a healthy working terrier community over here (as I am sure you know), probably due as much to the prevalence of quarry and the lack of restrictive regulations. I am sure breeding for type over ability happens but most I am involved with are breeding for their own kennel and hunting needs. I have had the good fortune to see some cracking terriers work out here and some shockers too tbf. IMHO the working russell is doing well stateside.

• Like 2

the 80s did start the export for really high money 5 figures plus for a little( click )in the JRTCGB then a named kennell had a years wages for some of his stuff and it wasnt just the one terrier

the 80s did start the export for really high money 5 figures plus for a little( click )in the JRTCGB then a named kennell had a years wages for some of his stuff and it wasnt just the one terrier

Was that for workers or ribbon hunters, donny.

• Like 3

Most were ribbon hunters mate TBH I saw it coming used to tell mates who was going to win the shows beforehand ..disgrace thats why I never joined that certain club

• Like 3

Different times. When the white Russell types were being " smartened up ", the Sealyham influence being bred out, the Queen Anne legs being corrected, the working Lakeland blood being used . But, they were being used as working terriers still, that was the important thing. For work that required the correct Jack Russell way of going about things. True breeding types became established, more or less, that could win the rosette but still be dug to. Why ? Different times. Easier times.

• Like 1

I think you would find the white terriers were of good type back in the day east coast , long before the Sealyham.

Hienmanns dogs were all of good confirmation , as were the ilfracombe digging club dogs .

Widespread street breeding brought about the j r t. to its many bastardised shapes and sizes imo.

Adding Lakeland type to smarten them up was a ribbon exercise pure and simple it just made for a gassey work ethic .

As for the best leaving in the 80s , maybe best in shows .

There's still plenty of good white lines about today if you search in the right places.

• Like 5

Different times. When the white Russell types were being " smartened up ", the Sealyham influence being bred out, the Queen Anne legs being corrected, the working Lakeland blood being used . But, they were being used as working terriers still, that was the important thing. For work that required the correct Jack Russell way of going about things. True breeding types became established, more or less, that could win the rosette but still be dug to. Why ? Different times. Easier times.

Many lines never needed lakie blood well before the showing lot fecked them up decent smart old lines ignored all that shit..correct russell way of working??then why lakie blood most I saw liked it all their own way and when push become shove out they came tails wagging the JRTCGB fecked loads.. A is judging champion goes to B next show B judging and its won by A people werent stupid but the overseas market seeing these names winning and the price went to decent car prices

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

leethedog, I hope you don't mind me asking but why is the dog in your photo not a digging dog ? Is it just because he's a little 'un ? There's nothing in the pic to give scale. I'm only asking because to my eye he is a VERY nice stamp. I used to see lots of this sort around but they seemed to of died out as working dogs or were bred up on the leg to suit fashion. I think that this is the type that the folk who started the Lucas terrier thing had intended to " re-create " but failed. If he is a Lucas then I will look a bit foolish but don't mind. Cracking looking terrier.

He was purchased as a hedge bottom dog for lurchers witch he excels at he has never shown interest in going to ground not even if he has chased to ground and at 9 years old I think he is to set in his ways but it doesn't bother me as he is a cracking little dog at 9 and a half inches ttw

• Like 2